Do you want contribute to current and future health care applications? Join the rapidly emerging field of regenerative medicine! Become a multidisciplinary scientists and help stimulate research at the interface between biomedical sciences, engineering and clinical application.
Engineering the functional restoration of tissues and organs
Combine fundamental disciplines such as stem cell biology, materials science and biomechanics with more applied disciplines such as cell therapy, implantations and imaging. New collaborations amongst these disciplines assist in innovation in fundamental life sciences research but also in new patient therapies and clinical applications with the ultimate goal to restore lost tissue or organ function. Sounds interesting? Join our programme!
Gain deeper insight through a unique collaboration
Regenerative Medicine and Technology is a cooperation between Utrecht University, the University Medical Center Utrecht and the Faculty of Biomedical Engineering at Eindhoven University of Technology (TU/e). The combined expertise, various state-of-the-art laboratories and research groups equip you with an understanding of processes ranging from specific cell culturing techniques, the use of biomaterials to computer models and imaging modalities.
This programme gives you access to state-of the art facilities and expertise.
Why you should study Regenerative Medicine and Technology at Utrecht University
- Learn to combine a technological (TU/e), clinical (UMC Utrecht) and biomedical (Utrecht University) point of view in multidisciplinary research projects.
- Worldwide partners allow you to do your internship at prestigious partner institutions such as the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), King’s College London and the Karolinska Institute.
- Collaborate to address current health care problems with a multidisciplinary approach at our state-of-the-art Utrecht Regenerative Medicine Center.
- Take part in a lively research environment in academia, consultancy companies or industry during a profile of your choosing.
- Take theoretical courses and seminars as well as master classes led by specialists in the field in both Eindhoven and Utrecht. The courses are interactive, and challenge students to further improve their communication, writing and presenting skills.
- Freedom to design your own programme, by choosing the track, research project and electives that best fit your interests. You also select one out of 9 thematic profiles which are designed to equip you with skills for your future career in a direction that appeals you most.
Students are able to follow their Master’s programme at UMC Utrecht, one of the largest academic medical centers in the Netherlands. UMC Utrecht focuses on a number of fields; selected students get educated by some of the best researchers in these research areas. Students get ample opportunities for excellent internships both at UMC Utrecht and abroad with our international partners. They also have access to the large research infrastructure and research network of the focus areas.
Graduate School of Life Sciences
Life Sciences is one of the four strategic themes of Utrecht University and is organised in the Graduate School of Life Sciences (GSLS). The GSLS brings together the research expertise and facilities of the faculties of Science, Medicine and Veterinary Medicine, in cooperation with UMC Utrecht. Research at the GSLS is highly interdisciplinary, because scientific breakthroughs take place where physics, medicine, chemistry and biology interact.
Introducing Life Sciences
Every year all new Master’s students of the Graduate School of Life Sciences start their academic year with a mandatory introduction week. Introducing Life Sciences (ILS) is part of the course Life Sciences Academy and covers aspects of academic education, including science integrity, career development and valorisation & industry.
World class university
Choosing Utrecht University means choosing one of the best universities in the country. Several renowned international rankings place Utrecht University among the 100 best universities in the world. Moreover, in a survey among Dutch professors it was proclaimed the best university in the Netherlands. The teaching environment at Utrecht University is international: half of the Utrecht Master's programmes are taught in English. The existing and former academic staff of Utrecht University include twelve Nobel Prize laureates.
City of Utrecht
The University is situated in Utrecht, a lively student city located in the heart of the Netherlands. It is considered the ‘gateway to Europe’. An inspiring city which nurtures talent and creativity.
- Biomedical Sciences
- Language of instruction:
- Mode of study:
- Study duration:
- 2 years
- Tuition fees:
- Dutch and other EU/EEA students (statutory fee, full-time) 2024-2025: € 2,530
Non-EU/EEA students (institutional fee) 2024-2025: € 23,765
More information about fees
- Croho code:
- Accredited by the NVAO
- Graduate school:
- Life Sciences