Degree from a non-Dutch university
This page outlines the step-by-step process for completing your application to a Master's programme at Utrecht University. Please read this information thoroughly before starting your application.
The programme Marine Sciences is open to students with a Bachelor's degree in a relevant subject (e.g. earth sciences, biology, physics, chemistry, physical geography, civil or environmental engineering, applied mathematics) or a bachelor’s degree from a University College.
English language requirements
- IELTS, Academic Module (IELTS Online is not accepted). Minimum score 6.5 overall band, at least 6 for writing, speaking, listening and reading.
- TOEFL, iBT. Minimum score 93, at least 24 for reading, 22 for listening, 20 for speaking, 20 for writing. Institutional scores are not accepted. The TOEFL institution code for Utrecht University is 9062.
- Cambridge Certificate (not available to students from China)
- Cambridge English C1 Advanced (CAE). Minimum score: 176 total, 169 writing
- Cambridge English C2 Proficiency (CPE). Minimum score: 180 total, 169 writing
You are exempt from the English language requirement if:
- you obtained your previous degree from a Dutch Research University.
- you obtained your secondary school diploma or Bachelor's degree in Australia, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand, Singapore, UK, USA or South Africa
- you obtained an English-taught International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma or European Baccalaureate (EB) Diploma.
You can already start your application without having your English test results. Make sure that you include your test date in Osiris Online Application.
|Application deadline for scholarship candidates|
|Application deadline for Non-EU passport holders|
|Application deadline for EU passport holders|
All deadlines expire at 23:59 [CET/CEST] on the specified date. You must complete the application process (including submitting your application documents in OSIRIS Online Application and paying the application fee) by this time.
The following documents must be uploaded before the application deadline:
A scan of your transcript (if necessary with official translations)
A scan of your official English language test report or certificate.
After submitting your application to Studielink, you will receive an email with login details for OSIRIS Online Application. Here you can upload all required documents, check the status of your application, enter contact details of your referee(s) and pay your application fee.
After you upload all documents in OSIRIS, International Student Admissions will verify them and send them to the Graduate School for evaluation. We strive to inform you of our decision within 20 working days.
Your admission letter will describe the next steps towards enrollment, and you will be asked to accept your offer. In most cases admission is conditional, which means you have to fulfill additional requirements such as sending certified digital copies or completing additional courses. These conditions, as well as the deadline, are clearly stated in your offer letter.
After accepting your offer, our Visa Office will guide you through the visa and/or residence permit process (if applicable).
When preparing your arrival prioritize the search for housing. Finding accommodation in Utrecht can be difficult and is often underestimated. Please note that if you have not found housing before the start of the academic year, we advise you to reconsider your enrolment.