The research Master’s programme Linguistics prepares you for a broad range of jobs inside and outside academia that require academic skills, research methodology and advanced knowledge in the field of linguistics.
Graduates of the programme are highly eligible to operate in the international field of linguistics research and to obtain PhD positions in the Netherlands or abroad. If you decide not to embark on an academic career, you are fully equipped to apply for junior positions where specialised knowledge, research abilities, and insight into the structure of language and its use are relevant. For example:
- a traineeship in the field of language technology (speech recognition, text-to-speech)
- an advisory position in first- and second-language teaching and policy making
- a teaching position in higher education
- a junior project research position in industry
- an assistant position in experimental and computational lab
After successfully completing the Linguistic Master’s programme, you are able to pursue an academic career and apply to a PhD programme either at Utrecht University or elsewhere. During the programme, you will work on a research proposal that may be used in PhD applications or easily be adapted to such applications. Our alumni have positions as PhD candidates at amongst others:
Max Planck Institute for Psycholinguistics (Nijmegen), Antwerp University | Ghent University.
In the Research Seminar, time is spent on the research skills needed to prepare for the individual research in internship and thesis, as well as issues concerning scientific integrity and life after the Master’s programme in Linguistics. The activities include an exchange of experiences with alumni.
Career Services offers events, tests, coaching and training in and outside your Master's programme, related to professional self-analysis, career orientation and job application skills. You can find more information about career services on Career Services for Dutch students or Career Services for international students.
Other career events
- Your Perspective is a monthly career orientation meeting for students and alumni of the Faculty of Humanities at Utrecht University.
- The Faculty of Humanities organises a Career Night Humanities with interesting partners who will illustrate the diversity in career opportunities for humanities graduates.
- Once a year Utrecht University organises a Careers Day. This Careers Day offers the opportunity to sign up for workshops and trainings, and to meet recruiters at the careers fair.