Degree from a non-Dutch university
This page outlines the step-by-step process for completing your application to a Master's programme at Utrecht University. Please read this information thoroughly before starting your application.
We welcome applications from all suitably qualified prospective students and aim to recruit students with the very best academic merit, potential and motivation, irrespective of their background. We carefully consider each application on an individual basis, taking into account all the information included in your application package, as specified below.
Please note: 60 credits equals one year full-time study load (European Credit Transfer System, ECTS).
This is a selective Master's. You will be considered for admission to the Master’s programme in International Relations in Historical Perspective if you have a Bachelor’s degree from a Dutch university or foreign equivalent and can demonstrate the following knowledge and skills:
- You are able to interpret and understand complex international historical events and processes based on your knowledge of the history of international relations and your acquaintance with relevant theories in the field. You have demonstrated these competencies in your grades for relevant courses during your Bachelor’s degree.
- You are able to design and undertake historical research in the field of international relations using analytical, methodological, and writing skills acquired during your undergraduate studies. You have demonstrated these skills in relevant research seminars, at an advanced Bachelor’s level, and where applicable, in your undergraduate thesis.
- You are able to demonstrate your interest in and engagement with the history of international relations based on a convincing motivation letter, curriculum vitae, and a 500-word essay in which you offer your informed opinion about an international political event, dilemma, or development of your choice (in English).
- You are able to express yourself in proficient English, as demonstrated by the language quality of your motivation letter and writing sample
The Admissions Committee will decide on your application. Based on the documents you submitted, the committee will assess whether you will be able to successfully complete the Master’s program within the nominal duration.
The committee also takes into account:
- Motivation and talent
- Level of required knowledge and mastery of methods and techniques as demonstrated by previous grades
- General high level of professional and intellectual ability
- Command of the language used in the program
The MA in International Relations in Historical Perspective admits a maximum of 60 students each year and competition for places in the program is high. This means that even if you meet the minimum entry requirement, this does not guarantee you an offer of admission.
English language requirements
- IELTS, Academic Module (IELTS Online is not accepted). Minimum score 6.5 overall band, at least 6 for writing, speaking, listening and reading.
- TOEFL, iBT. Minimum score 93, at least 24 for reading, 22 for listening, 20 for speaking, 20 for writing. Institutional scores are not accepted. The TOEFL institution code for Utrecht University is 9062.
- Cambridge Certificate (not available to students from China)
- Cambridge English C1 Advanced (CAE). Minimum score: 176 total, 169 writing
- Cambridge English C2 Proficiency (CPE). Minimum score: 180 total, 169 writing
You are exempt from the English language requirement if:
- you obtained your previous degree from a Dutch Research University.
- you obtained your secondary school diploma or Bachelor's degree in Australia, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand, Singapore, UK, USA or South Africa
- you obtained an English-taught International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma or European Baccalaureate (EB) Diploma.
You can already start your application without having your English test results. Make sure that you include your test date in Osiris Online Application.
|Application deadline for scholarship candidates|
|Application deadline for Non-EU passport holders|
|Application deadline for EU passport holders|
All deadlines expire at 23:59 [CET/CEST] on the specified date. You must complete the application process (including submitting your application documents in OSIRIS Online Application and paying the application fee) by this time.
The following documents must be uploaded before the application deadline:
- A scan of your diploma (if necessary with official translations) or Proof of anticipated degree
- A scan of your transcript (if necessary with official translations)
- Motivation statement
- Curriculum vitae / resume
- A scan of your official English language test report or certificate.
- Passport copy
- The contact details of two referees
- Courses yet to be completed
- Relevant courses
- Writing sample
After submitting your application to Studielink, you will receive an email with login details for OSIRIS Online Application. Here you can upload all required documents, check the status of your application, enter contact details of your referee(s) and pay your application fee.
After you upload all documents in OSIRIS, International Student Admissions will verify them and send them to the Graduate School for evaluation. We strive to inform you of our decision within 30 working days after the application deadline.
Your admission letter will describe the next steps towards enrollment, and you will be asked to accept your offer. In most cases admission is conditional, which means you have to fulfill additional requirements such as sending certified digital copies or completing additional courses. These conditions, as well as the deadline, are clearly stated in your offer letter.
After accepting your offer, our Visa Office will guide you through the visa and/or residence permit process (if applicable).
When preparing your arrival prioritize the search for housing. Finding accommodation in Utrecht can be difficult and is often underestimated. Please note that if you have not found housing before the start of the academic year, we advise you to reconsider your enrolment.