Degree from a non-Dutch university
This page outlines the step-by-step process for completing your application to a Master's programme at Utrecht University. Please read this information thoroughly before starting your application.
Please note: Please apply for the Master’s Global Urban Transformations in Studielink (step 4). After submitting your application to Studielink, you will receive information for Osiris Online Appliciation (step 5). Please note that Osiris shows the old name of the Master's programme (Urban and Economic Geography), since the Master's Global Urban Transformations starts in September 2023.
You are welcome to apply for Global Urban Transformations. The decision of the admissions committee will be based largely on:
- prior education (including (optional) course profile and specific knowledge)
- motivation and talent
- grade point average (GPA)
The minimum capacities that are required in prior education concern:
- Bachelor's degree with a GPA of at least 3.5 (on a scale of 1-4) or at least 7.5 under the Dutch system;
- knowledge and experience with basic methods and techniques in geographic or social-science research.
Please note that no one will be admitted to this programme directly. A decision will always be made on a case-by-case basis to determine whether there are sufficient grounds for admission. Applicants should preferably hold a university degree in a related subject, such as:
- University Bachelor's degree in Human Geography and/or Urban and Regional Planning
- University Bachelor's degree in another Spatial, Social or Economic Science discipline with at least a minor of 30 ECTS in Human Geography and/or Urban and Regional Planning; this requirement includes students from a University College
- University Master's degree in a Human Geography or Planning specialisation
- University Master's degree in another Social or Economic Science field with a substantial amount of ‘spatial’ and ‘research’ content
English language requirements
- IELTS, Academic Module. Minimum score 6.5 overall band, at least 6 for writing, speaking, listening and reading.
- TOEFL, iBT. Minimum score 93, at least 24 for reading, 22 for listening, 20 for speaking, 20 for writing. Institutional scores are not accepted. The TOEFL institution code for Utrecht University is 9062.
- Cambridge Certificate (not available to students from China)
- Cambridge English C1 Advanced (CAE). Minimum score: 176 total, 169 writing
- Cambridge English C2 Proficiency (CPE). Minimum score: 180 total, 169 writing
You are exempt from the English language requirement if:
- you obtained your previous degree from a Dutch Research University.
- you obtained your secondary school diploma or Bachelor's degree in Australia, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand, Singapore, UK, USA or South Africa
- you obtained an English-taught International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma or European Baccalaureate (EB) Diploma.
You can already start your application without having your English test results. Make sure that you include your test date in Osiris Online Application.
|Application deadline for scholarship candidates|
|Application deadline for Non-EU passport holders|
|Application deadline for EU passport holders|
All deadlines expire at 23:59 [Central European Time] on the specified date. You must complete the application process (including submitting your application documents in OSIRIS Online Application and paying the application fee) by this time.
The following documents must be uploaded before the application deadline:
- A scan of your diploma (if necessary with official translations) or Proof of anticipated degree
- A scan of your transcript (if necessary with official translations)
- Two letters of recommendation
- A scan of your official English language test report or certificate.
- Passport copy
- Motivation Statement
- Curriculum vitae / resume
- Nuffic certificate (Chinese students only)
Visit Studielink and complete the registration process. You can find all information on how to use Studielink here. After completing your Studielink application, you will receive login details for OSIRIS online application within 2 working days.Apply via Studielink
After submitting your application to Studielink, you will receive an email with login details for OSIRIS Online Application. Here you can upload all required documents, check the status of your application and pay your application fee.
After you upload all documents in OSIRIS, International Student Admissions will verify them and send them to the Graduate School for evaluation. We strive to inform you of our decision within 20 working days.
Please note that Osiris shows the old name of the Master's programme (Urban and Economic Geography), since the Master's Urban and Global Urban Transformations starts in September 2023.
Your admission letter will describe the next steps towards enrollment, and you will be asked to accept your offer. In most cases admission is conditional, which means you have to fulfill additional requirements such as sending certified digital copies or completing additional courses. These conditions, as well as the deadline, are clearly stated in your offer letter.
After accepting your offer, our Visa Office will guide you through the visa and/or residence permit process (if applicable).
When preparing your arrival prioritize the search for housing. Finding accommodation in Utrecht can be difficult and is often underestimated. Please note that if you have not found housing before the start of the academic year, we advise you to reconsider your enrolment.