Degree from a Dutch research university
This page outlines the step-by-step process for completing your application to a Master's programme at Utrecht University. Please read this information thoroughly before starting your application.
Aside from the entry requirements stated below, we are looking for students who are:
- interested in both geo-information science and project-management
- self-disciplined and show initiative
- independent thinkers but can also be team players
- motivation and talent
You are eligible for the GIMA programme, if you have:
- already obtained a Dutch or foreign university Bachelor's degree or equivalent in a discipline related to geographical information management and applications (with sufficient knowledge of GIS). In case of some GIS knowledge deficiency, considerable working experience in the geo-information field will be an advantage.
- academic and research skills on par with those expected at the level of a university bachelor's degree
- basic computer skills
Selection of course participants will also be based on Grade Point Average (GPA) and study progress in previous (post-secondary) education. In principle students with a Bachelor’s degree from a university should have a GPA of at least 7 (or 70% of the maximum of the scale) to qualify for admission. In case of a lower GPA the admission committee may still consider admission in exceptional cases on the basis of the overall student application file.
English language requirements
You are exempt from the English language requirement because you obtained your previous degree from a Dutch Research University.
If you have a Bachelor's degree from a Dutch Research university and do not fully meet the entry requirements, the Admissions Committee may propose a tailor-made Pre-Master’s programme to compensate for these deficiencies in your previous education.
The Pre-Master's programme generally comprises 15-30 EC. After successful completion of the Pre-Master’s programme you will be admitted to the Master’s programme.
You cannot apply specifically for a Pre-Master’s programme. Please follow the regular application procedure for the Master’s programme. The Admissions Committee will then decide whether you will be admitted with a Pre-Master’s programme, and if so, which courses you must take. Only then may you register for the Pre-Master’s programme in Studielink.
- A Pre-Master's programme is only available for students with a Dutch educational background who do not need housing, and who do not have or require a residence permit for study purposes. When in doubt about your residence permit, you can send an email to Utrecht University's Admissions Office, including a copy of both sides of the permit. Do not forget to state clearly that you are referring to a Pre-Master’s programme.
- The Pre-Master’s programme consists of courses from the Dutch language Bachelor’s ‘Sociale Geografie en Planning’. Therefore, you must master the Dutch language at an academic level.
- There is no guarantee that a Pre-Master’s programme will be offered. Making up for any insufficiencies before applying is always recommended.
|Application deadline for scholarship candidates|
|Application deadline for Non-EU passport holders|
|Application deadline for EU passport holders|
All deadlines expire at 23:59 [CET/CEST] on the specified date. You must complete the application process (including submitting your application documents in OSIRIS Online Application and paying the application fee) by this time.
The following documents must be uploaded before the application deadline (depending on your previous education):
Degree from Utrecht University
Copy of your International Diploma Supplement (IDS) OR if you are about to graduate, then please send us a current transcript of your results from Osiris (including GPA)
Degree from another Dutch research university
Diploma or certified graduation statement (with graduation date and without any conditions)
Copy of your International Diploma Supplement (IDS) OR if you are about to graduate, then please send us a current transcript of your results (stamped and signed, including GPA)
After submitting your application to Studielink, you will receive an email with login details for OSIRIS Online Application. Here you can upload all required documents, check the status of your application and enter contact details of your referee(s).
After you upload all documents in OSIRIS, the Graduate School will evaluate them. We strive to inform you of our decision within 20 working days.