Today financial management operates in a highly complex, interconnected and fast-moving international arena. Organisational objectives have to integrate a wide variety of considerations, from long-term stakeholder value to the short-term financial growth that is desired and demanded. Do you want to take on the challenge of being one of the new generation of chief financial officers (CFOs) with the complex skills to effectively manage the finances of large, SME and start-up businesses? Then the Master’s in Financial Management at Utrecht University School of Economics (U.S.E.) is for you.
Watch the video of the Financial Management Programme.
The real world perspective
The Utrecht University School of Economics (U.S.E.) aims to contribute to an economy where people flourish. We enrich economics with other disciplines to better solve problems and identify opportunities, from a business and a government point of view. Scientifically rigorous and societally relevant. The real world perspective.
Content of the programme
In the Master's programme in Financial Management you will focus on:
- how to raise capital (i.e. issuing shares and bonds);
- how to allocate capital (capital and operational budgeting);
- how to manage short-term resources;
- how to deal with new alternative financing forms such as crowdfunding or fintech;
- how to manage different corporate risks;
- how to align individual motives to organisational motives via performance management and compensation systems;
- how to effectively introduce changes in financial management policies within organisations.
This MSc in Financial Management is geared toward a new generation of chief financial officers (CFOs).
The MSc programme in Financial Management is part of the CFA® Institute University Recognition Programme. As such, this Master’s programme is a good choice for students interested in enrolling in the CFA® Programme and obtaining the CFA® charter, the designation of excellence in the investment community. U.S.E. can offer scholarships to outstanding master students to undertake CFA® exams at a special price.[Read the press release]
This Master's programme in Financial Management provides you with:
- a unique, multidisciplinary and international programme in which you learn to understand not just a firm’s finances, but also how to deal with economic, managerial, regulatory, and reporting issues to maximise enterprise value;
- the latest economic and financial theory and the hard and soft financial management skills to put theory into practice in an increasingly complex world;
- the mindset to understand and solve trade-offs between short- and long-term objectives between shareholders and stakeholders, and between financial and social responsibility.
Upon completion of the MSc in Financial Management you are prepared for a career in financial management within an SME or multinational organisation; or in a consulting firm. Although geared toward the financial side of management, this programme also provides a sound basis for more general managerial tasks. Read more about possible career prospects.
- International Economics and Business
- Language of instruction:
- Mode of study:
- Study duration:
- 1 year
- Tuition fees:
- Dutch and other EU/EEA students (statutory fee, full-time) 2023-2024: € 2,314
Non-EU/EEA students (institutional fee) 2023-2024: € 18,332
More information about fees
- Croho code:
- Accredited by the NVAO
- Law, Economics and Governance