As part of the admission process we will assess whether you are capable of completing the Master's programme within the set period. If deficiencies are found with regard to the required knowledge and skills, which can be remedied with a course load of max 30 EC, you first must successfully finish a Pre-Master's programme before you can start the Master’s programme. The Admissions Committee will determine which courses are required in your specific case.
Note: if you are not admitted, this means that a Pre-Master’s programme is not an option for you.
Admission to a Master’s programme is based on the following requirements:
- relevant Bachelor's degree;
- level of knowledge,
- general and research skills in the relevant field;
- motivation, talent and learning ability;
- general academic level of thinking and working;
- command of the language or languages of instruction.
More detailed information about the admission requirements.
Application procedure Pre-Master’s programme
There is no separate application process for the Pre-Master’s programme. In order to be considered for the Pre-Master’s programme, you have to apply for the Master’s programme. A Pre-Master’s can be the outcome of your application. Not admitted for the Master’s programme also means that a Pre-Master’s programme is no option for you.
The Pre-Master's programme is only available for:
- Dutch students
- Non-Dutch students with a Dutch educational background who do not need housing, and who do not have or require a residence permit for study purposes
- Refugee students with a Dutch residence permit or a W-document who do not need housing
- Students who master the language of the Pre-Master’s courses. Most Pre-Master’s courses are Bachelor’s courses that are taught in Dutch.
Please note: when in doubt about your residence permit, you can send an email to Utrecht University's International Student Admissions (ISA), including a copy of both sides of the permit. Please state clearly that you are inquiring about a Pre-Master’s programme.