Degree from a non-Dutch university
This page outlines the step-by-step process for completing your application to a Master's programme at Utrecht University. Please read this information thoroughly before starting your application.
- Eligible are graduates in law, this includes everyone who has completed the basic university curriculum in law, and has been awarded a law degree in their home country without necessarily having taken subsequent state or professional examinations which would allow them to practice law or be admitted to the Bar.
- Eligible are students with a Liberal Arts Bachelor’s degree with a good basic knowledge of law. This requirement is fulfilled by students who have completed at least 45 EC on law courses at an undergraduate or graduate level, including courses on criminal law and European Union law.
As part of your application to the programme, you should submit an motivation letter that outlines your motivation for wanting to follow this particular Master’s programme and your future ambitions. An interview with the programme coordinator can be part of the selection procedure. The admissions committee will make its final decision based on your ability, your commitment to the subject, your academic skills and your command of English.
English language requirements
- IELTS, Academic Module. Minimum score: 6.5 overall band, at least 6 for writing, speaking, listening and reading.
- TOEFL, iBT. Minimum score 93 with at least a score of 24 reading, 22 listening, 20 speaking, 20 writing (internet-based test), institutional scores are not accepted.
- Cambridge Certificate (not available to students from China):
- Cambridge English C1 Advanced (CAE). Minimum score: 176 total, 169 writing
- Cambridge English C2 Proficiency (CPE). Minimum score: 180 total, 169 writing
You are exempt from the English language requirement if:
- You obtained your previous degree from a Dutch Research University
- You obtained your secondary school diploma or Bachelor's degree in Australia, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand, Singapore, UK, USA or South Africa
- You obtained an English-taught International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma or European Baccalaureate (EB) Diploma.
We do not offer a pre-master’s programme for students with a degree from a non-Dutch research university.
|Application deadline for scholarship candidates|
|Application deadline for Non-EU passport holders|
|Application deadline for EU passport holders|
Your application is complete when you have (1) fully submitted your OSIRIS application, (2) uploaded all required documents and (3) paid the application fee (if applicable). After the deadline has passed, incomplete applications will be cancelled.
The following documents must be uploaded before the application deadline:
Diploma or certified graduation statement (with graduation date and without any conditions)
A scan of your transcript (if necessary with official translations)
A scan of your official English language test report or certificate.
Questions about the application procedure?
After submitting your application to Studielink, you will receive an email with login details for OSIRIS Online Application. Here you can upload all required documents, check the status of your application and pay your application fee.
After you upload all documents in OSIRIS, International Student Admissions will verify them and send them to the Graduate School for evaluation. We strive to inform you of our decision within 20 working days.
If you are admitted, your admission letter will describe the next steps towards enrollment. In most cases your admission is conditional, which means you will have to submit certified digital documents.