Degree from a Dutch research university
This page outlines the step-by-step process for completing your application to a Master's programme at Utrecht University. Please read this information thoroughly before starting your application.
You are welcome to apply for the Energy Science Master’s programme. Please take into account that this is a selective master. You will be considered for admission to the programme if you hold a university Bachelor's degree and can demonstrate a high level of knowledge, motivation and command of methods and skills in the field.
With regard to the educational requirements you should possess:
- background in natural sciences;
- knowledge of and insights in Energy Analysis and Mathematics;
- a solid foundation in thermodynamics (e.g. properties of a substance, ideal gas equation of state, first and second law of thermodynamics, energy balance, download an example exercise);
- general insights in emerging technology issues and complex multidisciplinary problems;
- academic and quantitative research skills.
Next to the educational requirements we consider:
- motivation and talent (also on the basis of average grade and past studies progress);
- command of the English language (see below);
- relevant skills
In exceptional situations, a tailor-made Pre-Master’s programme will be proposed to compensate for deficiencies in your previous education. In case of doubt about the knowledge of thermodynamics, a test may be set to check you have the appropriate level.
The Admissions Committee reviews all requests for admission and selects students that meet the entry requirements. The Admissions Committee also assesses whether you will be able to successfully complete the Master’s programme within the set time frame. This means the decision on your application is based on a thorough, case-by-case analysis. If you are admitted you will be notified if you still have to fulfil certain conditions, such as a Pre-Master’s programme.
English language requirements
You are exempt from the English language requirement because you obtained your previous degree from a Dutch Research University.
If you have a Bachelor's degree from a Dutch research university and do not fully meet the entry requirements, the Admissions Committee may propose a tailor-made Pre-Master’s programme to compensate for these deficiencies in your previous education. The Pre-Master's programme generally comprises 15-30 EC. After successful completion of the Pre-Master’s programme, within the period stated in the admission decision, you will be admitted to the Master’s programme.
In order to qualify for admission with the Pre-Master’s programme, you should have a University diploma in a discipline closely related to Energy Science, and you should be able to show that your courses (and/or related work experience) have equipped you with sufficient conceptual and empirical knowledge in the field of Energy Science.
If you would like to prepare for the Master’s programme Energy Science during your Bachelor’s studies, then the following Bachelor’s courses are relevant to the Energy Science programme. Please note: successful completion of these courses does not guarantee admission.
|Applied Thermodynamics and Energy Conversions
|Mathematics and System Analysis
|Science of Energy Technologies
You cannot apply specifically for a Pre-Master’s programme. Please follow the regular application procedure for the Master’s programme. The Admissions Committee will then decide whether you will be admitted with a Pre-Master’s programme, and if so, which courses you must take. Only then may you register for the Pre-Master’s programme in Studielink.
- A Pre-Master's programme is only available for students with a Dutch educational background who do not need housing, and who do not have or require a residence permit for study purposes. When in doubt about your residence permit, you can send an email to Utrecht University's Admissions Office, including a copy of both sides of the permit. Do not forget to state clearly that you are referring to a Pre-Master’s programme.
- The language of instruction is Dutch. Therefore, you must master the Dutch language at an academic level.
- There is no guarantee that a Pre-Master’s programme will be offered. Making up for any insufficiencies before applying is always recommended.
|Application deadline for scholarship candidates
|Application deadline for Non-EU passport holders
|Application deadline for EU passport holders
All deadlines expire at 23:59 [CET/CEST] on the specified date. You must complete the application process (including submitting your application documents in OSIRIS Online Application and paying the application fee) by this time.
The following documents must be uploaded before the application deadline (depending on your previous education):
Degree from Utrecht University
Copy of your International Diploma Supplement (IDS) OR if you are about to graduate, then please send us a current transcript of your results from Osiris (including GPA)
Degree from another Dutch research university
Diploma or certified graduation statement (with graduation date and without any conditions)
Copy of your International Diploma Supplement (IDS) OR if you are about to graduate, then please send us a current transcript of your results (stamped and signed, including GPA)
After submitting your application to Studielink, you will receive an email with login details for OSIRIS Online Application. Here you can upload all required documents, check the status of your application and enter contact details of your referee(s).
After you upload all documents in OSIRIS, the Graduate School will evaluate them. We strive to inform you of our decision within 20 working days.