Degree from a Dutch research university
This page outlines the step-by-step process for completing your application to a Master's programme at Utrecht University. Please read this information thoroughly before starting your application.
The programme Earth Surface and Water is open to students with a Bachelor's degree in a relevant subject (e.g. earth sciences, natural sciences, physics, physical geography, civil engineering, applied mathematics), or a Bachelor’s degree from University College Utrecht. With regard to the educational requirements you should possess the following knowledge and skills:
- Geology and geomorphology; the understanding of processes at different spatial and temporal scales.
- Natural processes (earth system processes in soil, water, atmosphere, ecosystems).
- Mathematics (calculus -i.e. differential equations, integration, differentiation- and linear algebra).
- Physics, classical mechanics (including stability, dynamics of linear and rotational movement, waves and simple harmonic motion).
- Academic and research skills, reporting on the empirical cycle in written and oral form.
You may still be eligible for admission if you have a degree other than those listed above. In some situations a Pre-Master’s programme will be proposed to compensate for deficiencies in your previous education.
English language requirements
You are exempt from the English language requirement because you obtained your previous degree from a Dutch Research University.
If you have a Bachelor's degree from a Dutch research university and do not fully meet the entry requirements for the Master’s programme, the Admissions Committee may propose a tailor-made Pre-Master’s programme to compensate for these deficiencies in your previous education. The Pre-Master's programme generally comprises 30 EC. After successful completion of the Pre-Master’s programme, you will be admitted to the Master’s programme.
You cannot apply specifically for a Pre-Master’s programme. Please follow the regular application procedure for the Master’s programme. The Admissions Committee will then decide whether you will be admitted with a Pre-Master’s programme, and if so, which courses you must take. Only then may you register for the Pre-Master’s programme in Studielink.
- A Pre-Master's programme is only available for students with a Dutch educational background who do not need housing, and who do not have or require a residence permit for study purposes. When in doubt about your residence permit, you can send an email to Utrecht University's Admissions Office, including a copy of both sides of the permit. Do not forget to state clearly that you are referring to a Pre-Master’s programme.
- The language of instruction is Dutch. Therefore, you must master the Dutch language at an academic level.
- There is no guarantee that a Pre-Master’s programme will be offered. Making up for any insufficiencies before applying is always recommended.
|Application deadline for scholarship candidates|
|Application deadline for Non-EU passport holders|
|Application deadline for EU passport holders|
Your application is complete when you have (1) fully submitted your OSIRIS application, (2) uploaded all required documents and (3) paid the application fee (if applicable). After the deadline has passed, incomplete applications will be cancelled.
The following documents must be uploaded before the application deadline (depending on your previous education):
Degree from Utrecht University
Copy of your International Diploma Supplement (IDS) OR if you are about to graduate, then please send us a current transcript of your results from Osiris (including GPA)
Degree from another Dutch research university
Diploma or certified graduation statement (with graduation date and without any conditions)
Copy of your International Diploma Supplement (IDS) OR if you are about to graduate, then please send us a current transcript of your results (stamped and signed, including GPA)
Visit Studielink and complete the online enrolment application.
Afterward, you will receive login details for OSIRIS online application, where you can upload the required documents. You can find all information on how to use Studielink here.
After submitting your application to Studielink, you will receive an email with login details for OSIRIS Online Application. Here you can upload all required documents and check the status of your application.
After you upload all documents in OSIRIS, the Graduate School will evaluate them. We strive to inform you of our decision within 20 working days.
If you are admitted, your admission letter will describe the next steps towards enrollment. In most cases your admission is conditional, which means you will have to send additional documents or complete more steps.