Degree from a Dutch research university
This page outlines the step-by-step process for completing your application to a Master's programme at Utrecht University. Please read this information thoroughly before starting your application.
The Admissions Committee strives to admit around 20 suitable applicants per year. This Master’s programme has the following entry requirements:
- An academic Bachelor's degree in Social or Behavioural Sciences (for instance Psychology, Pedagogical Sciences, Interdisciplinary Social Science, or Sociology), or a Dutch Bachelor´s degree of a University of Applied Sciences (hbo) worth 240 credits and a completed pre-Master’s programme Youth Development and Social Change (formerly known as Youth Studies) at Utrecht University.
- A minimum average grade of 7.5. Students with an average grade between 7.0 and 7.5 will also be considered for admission, if they can compensate for this lower average with other capacities they possess. It is for the Admissions Committee to decide if the compensation will suffice. Students who attend the above mentioned pre-Master’s programme need a minimum average grade of 7.5 for the courses in that programme.
- Sufficient academic knowledge and skills in methods and statistics (please consult this document for specific requirements).
- Sufficient command of the English Language.
Please note that as a graduate from a Dutch Research University you do not have to fulfil any extra language requirements for this programme.
- Motivation that fits the aim of this programme.
Unsure if you qualify for admission?
In order to properly assess whether you qualify for admission, it is important that we have the right information. It is therefore necessary that you apply through the regular admission procedure and submit the required documents. The Admissions Committee will look into your qualifications for admission and you will receive notification in the form of a letter of (non-, conditional or unconditional) acceptance.
This Master's programme is selective and does not offer a pre-Master's programme for students with an academic Bachelor's degree who do not meet the entry requirements.
If you have an hbo-degree, please select ‘degree from a Dutch university of applied sciences’ for more information about admission to this programme.
|Deadline for scholarship applicants
|Main application deadline
*Please note that the application deadline for students with an EU/EEA or Swiss nationality may be extended to 1 June. This extension is by no means guaranteed; therefore, we advise all students to finish their application before 1 April. Any new information regarding the application deadline will be published on this website no later than 2 April.
Complete your application in time
All deadlines expire at 23:59 [CET/CEST] on the specified date. Your application is complete when you have (1) fully submitted your Studielink ánd OSIRIS application, (2) uploaded all required documents in Osiris Online Application. After the deadline has passed, incomplete applications will be cancelled.
The following documents must be uploaded before the deadline:
Diploma or DUO extract (if graduated)
Transcript from OSIRIS (for Utrecht University students) or certified transcript (for students from other Dutch research universities).
A certified transcript must include courses, grades, GPA and a stamp/signature of the institute.
Motivation statement in English
Curriculum vitae / resume in English
An overview of courses yet to be completed (when you have not yet obtained your diploma)
Checklist Methods and Statistics and syllabi of all the courses you list on this Checklist. Not required for all. Please check the form for details.
After submitting your application to Studielink, you will receive an email with login details for OSIRIS Online Application. Here you can upload all required documents, check the status of your application and enter contact details of your referee(s).
After you upload all documents in OSIRIS, the Graduate School will evaluate them. We strive to inform you of our decision within 20 working days.