Degree from a Dutch university of applied sciences (HBO)
This page outlines the step-by-step process for completing your application to a Master's programme at Utrecht University. Please read this information thoroughly before starting your application.
To be admitted to the Master's programme in Contemporary Theatre, Dance and Dramaturgy with a degree of a University of Applied Sciences, you almost always have to complete a Pre-Master's programme first. Below you will find the required competences to be admitted to the Master's programme, the selection procedure for the Master's programme and information about the Pre-Master's programme.
This is a selective Master's. You will be considered for admission to the Master's programme Contemporary Theatre, Dance and Dramaturgy if you have a Bachelor’s diploma from a Dutch university (or foreign equivalent) and can demonstrate the following knowledge, insight and skills:
- You are able to reflect on and query the functioning of theatre, dance and/or performance in contemporary culture, as demonstrated by your motivation letter and a writing sample (in English).
- You have knowledge of and insight in theatre, dance and/or performance theory, history and/or dramaturgy, as shown by having taken at least 30 EC worth of courses in this field on Bachelor's level, 15 EC of which should be at advanced Bachelor's level (practical training not included), or an equivalent of this.
- You have knowledge of research methods particular to the Humanities, as well as working knowledge of the main concepts used in Theatre, Dance or Performance Studies, as shown by having taken at least 7.5 EC worth of courses in this field on Bachelor's level and a Bachelor's thesis, or an equivalent of this.
- You are able to design, perform, analyse and report on scientific research in theatre, dance and/or performance studies; and to investigate and report both in writing and orally on issues concerned with theatre and/or dance dramaturgy.
- You have the necessary social and communication skills in order to professionally collaborate and communicate with fellow students and arts professionals.
- You are able to express yourself in proficient English, both orally and in written texts, as evidenced in your writing sample, motivation letter and interview.
The Admissions Committee decides on your application. On the basis of the documents submitted by you, the committee will assess whether you will be able to successfully complete the Master’s programme within the nominal duration. The committee also takes into account:
- Motivation and talent (also on the basis of GPA and study progress monitoring).
- Level of required knowledge and the mastery of methods and techniques used in the subject area.
- General high level of professional and intellectual ability.
- Command of the language(s) used in the programme.
A short interview is part of the selection procedure.
If you do not meet the entry requirements you might be considered for a Pre-Master's programme. This is for the Admissions Committee to decide. The Pre-Master's programme comprises 45 or 60 EC.
We offer a Pre-Master’s programme for students who study at a Dutch University of Applied Sciences (HBO) in the area of theatre, dance, media, arts and culture.
Whether or not you are eligible for the Pre-Master’s programme depends on the nature of your education and your grade point average. If you are an above-average HBO student, with a study programme that is relevant to the Master’s programme, then register for the Master’s programme and write a letter of motivation. You are able to express yourself in proficient English, both orally and in written texts.
The schedule below provides a general idea of what your programme may look like. The teaching season consists of two semesters, each semester comprises 2 study periods of approximately 10 weeks.
|Study period 1||Study period 2|
|Study period 3||Study period 4|
Have a look at the costs of a Pre-Master’s programme (in Dutch).
If you want to be considered for a Pre-Master's programme, you simply go through the application procedure for the Master's programme, just like students who meet all entry requirements. The Admissions Committee will decide whether you can follow a Pre-Master's programme and what form it should take. Once you have been notified, you can register for the Pre-Master's programme.
To prepare for the MA programme in Contemporary Theatre, Dance and Dramaturgy, it is possible to already do courses during your studies at the University of Applied Sciences. This way you possibly do not need to do a full Pre-Master’s programme to qualify for the MA programme or you can complete your Pre-Master’s in less time. You can find more information on the Kies op Maat website. There may be additional requirements when you want to take these courses.
If after completing these courses, you do want to be admitted for the master programme, please apply in the regular way. The Admissions Committee will decide whether you can be admitted directly or whether you will have to take some additional Pre-Master's courses.
Have you completed an HBO programme and are you about to embark on a Pre-Master's programme? Then you might need some support. On the Premaster support page you will find information about the Premaster kick-start, which consists of workshops and useful tips. Utrecht University also offers numerous training courses, such as Academic Learning, Academic English, Research Design and Scientific Writing.
Not sure if you are eligible?
You can contact the Programme Coordinator with questions about your eligibility.
|Application deadline for scholarship candidates|
|Application deadline for Non-EU passport holders|
|Application deadline for EU passport holders|
All deadlines expire at 23:59 [CET/CEST] on the specified date. You must complete the application process (including submitting your application documents in OSIRIS Online Application and paying the application fee) by this time.
The following documents must be uploaded before the application deadline:
Diploma or graduation statement
A scan of your transcript (including courses, grades and GPA)
Please make sure the document has a stamp and signature of the institute.
Writing Sample: A (previously) written paper in English of approximately 3000 words, or a (selective translation of a) Bachelor's thesis, discussing a theatre, dance or performance topic of your own choice, which demonstrates academic writing and thinking skills, active use of a theoretical framework, and complies with international standards for academic referencing.
After submitting your application to Studielink, you will receive an email with login details for OSIRIS Online Application. Here you can upload all required documents, check the status of your application and enter contact details of your referee(s).
After you upload all documents in OSIRIS, the Graduate School will evaluate them. We strive to inform you of our decision within 20 working days.