Disability and studying

Utrecht University wants to ensure that all students feel welcome and receive the support they need to make the most of their studies. If you have a disability, you can apply for special facilities and support.

Utrecht University defines a disability as follows: a disability is a chronic disorder (diagnosed by a certified professional) that can hinder a student’s ability to participate fully in (higher) education.

For example:

  • Dyslexia
  • AD(H)D
  • A chronic illness
  • A physical (visual, auditory, or motor) impairment
  • Autism (ASD)
  • Chronic mental health disorders.


There are various provisions, facilities and support services for students with a disability at Utrecht University:

Advising and Counselling

If you enccounter a problem or are you looking for personal advice during your studies? You can contact a study advisor, a student psychologist, a student counsellor or your tutor.

Practical provisions / special facilities

We strongly advise you to contact the study advisor of the programme you are applying to, well in advance of the start of your course, in order to inquire about the possibilities. Together with the study advisor you can discuss whether you are eligible for certain provisions. An example of a practical provision is extra time when sitting exams.

Financial provisions

If you are delayed in your studies as a consequence of circumstances beyond your control (e.g. disability), you may be eligible for financial support. There are various financial provisions for which you may be eligible. Many of these will depend on whether you are eligible for a Dutch student grant (DUO).


Please contact your Study Advisor well before you start your degree programme to discuss your situation and determine the support options available to you during your studies. These may differ from the services you had at a previous university or school. Agreements regarding these special services will be laid down in a contract. It is important to seek contact as soon as possible, to ensure that there is enough time to make the necessary arrangements. You may have to request support again when starting your Master's degree programme. You can check this with the Study Advisor of your Master's programme.

You can contact the Study Advisor for your degree programme via your Faculty Student Desk

Student psychologists

The student psychologists at UU offer short-term help and treatment for study-related or personal problems.

Other support services

  • Career Services
  • Skills Lab Writing Centre
  • Educational Consultancy & Professional Development (smart study techniques, individual coaching)
  • Academic Support Advisor (study choice, master selection)

More information can be found on our workshops page. 


The overview of all buildings provides information on accessibility for each building, such as wheelchair entrances, lifts, and quiet rooms.

If you run into anything yourself (think of key cabinets for lifts that are too high, thresholds that are too high, etc.), you can report this by contacting the Facility Service Centre (FSC).

More information and contact

  • Contact your study advisor, a student psychologist or student counsellor
  • Studying without Limitations is a peer to peer group for students with a disability. The members of the Platform are experts by experience, and are happy to share their knowledge with you.
  • Looking for information on housing? See the UU webpage about housing (general information for international students) as well as the SSH webpage Wonen op Maat (information about housing for various target groups with either a disability, a specific background or a special housing need).