Degree from a non-Dutch university
This page outlines the step-by-step process for completing your application to a Master's programme at Utrecht University. Please read this information thoroughly before starting your application.
Eligible are students with:
- A BSc of a research university in Economics or Economics and Business Economics preferably with some degree of specialisation in Business Development and Entrepreneurship.
The Admissions Office assesses all international credentials according to the credential evaluation criteria of the Nuffic (the Netherlands Organisation for international cooperation in Higher Education), and advises the Admissions Committee on this subject; and
- A good command of English. Check the specific English proficiency requirements below;
- You must have solid and demonstrable knowledge in the following fields:
We specifically encourage applications from students with a background in engineering, innovation studies, psychology, sociology and technology provided they have knowledge of the fields listed above.
The Admissions Committee accesses your application and decides whether it believes you have demonstrated enough skills and knowledge to successfully complete the Master’s programme within the nominal duration of 1 year. The committee takes into account:
- The level of the required knowledge and academic skills;
- Mastery of research methods and techniques;
- Your motivation and talent;
- Your command of the English language.
The Admissions Committee bases its assessment and decision on the documents you submit. In some cases we might ask you for extra information such as course description, or invite you to an (Skype) interview.
English language requirements
- IELTS, Academic Module (IELTS Online is not accepted). Minimum score 6.5 overall band, at least 6 for writing, speaking, listening and reading.
- TOEFL, iBT. Minimum score 93, at least 24 for reading, 22 for listening, 20 for speaking, 20 for writing. Institutional scores are not accepted. The TOEFL institution code for Utrecht University is 9062.
- Cambridge Certificate (not available to students from China)
- Cambridge English C1 Advanced (CAE). Minimum score: 176 total, 169 writing
- Cambridge English C2 Proficiency (CPE). Minimum score: 180 total, 169 writing
You are exempt from the English language requirement if:
- you obtained your previous degree from a Dutch Research University.
- you obtained your secondary school diploma or Bachelor's degree in Australia, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand, Singapore, UK, USA or South Africa
- you obtained an English-taught International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma or European Baccalaureate (EB) Diploma.
You can already start your application without having your English test results. Make sure that you include your test date in Osiris Online Application.
A pre-Master's Programme is only available for graduated HBO (University of Applied Science) students with a relevant Dutch educational background who do not need housing, and who do not have or require a residence permit for study purposes. When in doubt about your residence permit, you can send an email to Utrecht University's Admissions Office, including a copy of both sides of the permit. Do not forget to state clearly that you are referring to a pre-Master’s programme.
Please note that we do not offer a pre-Master for WO students. If you are studying at a Dutch research university and you do not have the required courses to be admitted, we advise you to follow these courses (for example as a minor) during your Bachelor’s programme. For questions please contact the Graduate School of Economics by email.
|Application deadline for scholarship candidates|
|Application deadline for Non-EU passport holders|
|Application deadline for EU passport holders|
All deadlines expire at 23:59 [CET/CEST] on the specified date. You must complete the application process (including submitting your application documents in OSIRIS Online Application and paying the application fee) by this time.
The following documents must be uploaded before the application deadline:
A scan of your transcript (if necessary with official translations)
A scan of your official English language test report or certificate.
Questions about the application procedure?
You can submit your application before taking the English test. Please note that we will need to have received your official results by 1 June if you need a visa; or by 1 September if you do not need a visa.
After submitting your application to Studielink, you will receive an email with login details for OSIRIS Online Application. Here you can upload all required documents, check the status of your application, enter contact details of your referee(s) and pay your application fee.
After you upload all documents in OSIRIS, International Student Admissions will verify them and send them to the Graduate School for evaluation. We strive to inform you of our decision within 20 working days.
Your admission letter will describe the next steps towards enrollment, and you will be asked to accept your offer. In most cases admission is conditional, which means you have to fulfill additional requirements such as sending certified digital copies or completing additional courses. These conditions, as well as the deadline, are clearly stated in your offer letter.
After accepting your offer, our Visa Office will guide you through the visa and/or residence permit process (if applicable).
When preparing your arrival prioritize the search for housing. Finding accommodation in Utrecht can be difficult and is often underestimated. Please note that if you have not found housing before the start of the academic year, we advise you to reconsider your enrolment.