Degree from a non-Dutch university
This page outlines the step-by-step process for completing your application to a Master's programme at Utrecht University. Please read this information thoroughly before starting your application.
This is a selective Master's programme. You will be considered for admission to the Master's programme Bio inspired innovation if you can demonstrate:
1. A relevant Bachelor's degree
Bachelor's programmes that meet the requirements are:
- Chemistry with Biology minor
- Pharmaceutical sciences
- Biomedical Sciences
- Natural sciences with Biology minor
- Other relevant science programmes
2. Relevant knowledge, insight and skills
- Basic knowledge of Biology (minimum level 1 bachelor)
- Advanced knowledge (level 3 bachelor) of two or more sub-disciplines in the field of Biology, such as molecular and cellular biology, microbiology, plant biology, animal biology and ecology.
3. High overall score (GPA, average grade, grading tables) and high grades for relevant courses.
A GPA ≥ 3 or average grade ≥ 7, is used as the standard requirement*.
4. High level of academic competences, specifically:
- Time to degree in previous education*
- The ability to design, carry out and report on research projects
*If you fail to meet some of the requirements under 3-4, please indicate why you feel you are still eligible for admission in your motivation letter.
5. Personal competences
- A clear motivation for participation in this Master's programme
- A strong interest in sustainable development, design and innovation
- Relevant extracurricular activities
6. Oral and written proficiency in English at an advanced level (UU guidelines)
English language requirements
- IELTS, Academic Module. Minimum score 6.5 overall band, at least 6 for writing, speaking, listening and reading.
- TOEFL, iBT. Minimum score 93, at least 24 for reading, 22 for listening, 20 for speaking, 20 for writing. Institutional scores are not accepted. The TOEFL institution code for Utrecht University is 9062.
- Cambridge Certificate (not available to students from China)
- Cambridge English C1 Advanced (CAE). Minimum score: 176 total, 169 writing
- Cambridge English C2 Proficiency (CPE). Minimum score: 180 total, 169 writing
You are exempt from the English language requirement if:
- you obtained your previous degree from a Dutch Research University.
- you obtained your secondary school diploma or Bachelor's degree in Australia, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand, Singapore, UK, USA or South Africa
- you obtained an English-taught International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma or European Baccalaureate (EB) Diploma.
You can already start your application without having your English test results. Make sure that you include your test date in Osiris Online Application.
The Admissions Committee reviews all requests for admission and selects students that meet the entry requirements. The Admissions Committee also assesses whether you will be able to successfully complete the Master’s programme within the set time frame. This means the decision on your application is based on a thorough analysis.
The programme admits a maximum of 30 students each year. If the number of selected candidates exceeds the number of available places, the Admissions Committee will select only the most eligible candidates. Ranking takes place on the basis of the above mentioned criteria.
You will receive a written notification of the decision of the Admissions Committee. You will also be notified when you are placed on waiting list and/or if you still have to fulfil certain conditions. All applicants are notified in a timely manner, but not at the exact same time. In some cases you may be obliged to first fulfil a premaster programme. If you have received a (conditional) letter of acceptance, we expect you to accept or decline the offer within two weeks.
You can contact the Programme Coordinator with questions about your eligibility.
|Application deadline for scholarship candidates|
|Application deadline for Non-EU passport holders|
|Application deadline for EU passport holders|
All deadlines expire at 23:59 [CET/CEST] on the specified date. You must complete the application process (including submitting your application documents in OSIRIS Online Application and paying the application fee) by this time.
The following documents must be uploaded before the application deadline:
A scan of your transcript (if necessary with official translations)
A scan of your official English language test report or certificate.
After submitting your application to Studielink, you will receive an email with login details for OSIRIS Online Application. Here you can upload all required documents, check the status of your application, enter contact details of your referee(s) and pay your application fee.
After you upload all documents in OSIRIS, International Student Admissions will verify them and send them to the Graduate School for evaluation. We strive to inform you of our decision within 30 working days after the application deadline.
Your admission letter will describe the next steps towards enrollment, and you will be asked to accept your offer. In most cases admission is conditional, which means you have to fulfill additional requirements such as sending certified digital copies or completing additional courses. These conditions, as well as the deadline, are clearly stated in your offer letter.
After accepting your offer, our Visa Office will guide you through the visa and/or residence permit process (if applicable).
When preparing your arrival prioritize the search for housing. Finding accommodation in Utrecht can be difficult and is often underestimated. Please note that if you have not found housing before the start of the academic year, we advise you to reconsider your enrolment.