You are cordially invited to the launch of the Academy of Ecosystem Services during the following seminar:
‘The Academy of Ecosystem Services: from science to practice and back’
Wednesday 8th of July 2015, from 9.00 – 14.00 hours
Boothzaal, Utrecht University Library
Heidelberglaan 3, Utrecht
Registration: please use this link
Ecosystem services are the benefits that people obtain from ecosystems, including food, clean water, carbon storage and biodiversity conservation. However, a large share of these ecosystem services are being degraded or used unsustainably. Decision makers and other societal stakeholders need clear information on the magnitude of ecosystem services, and ways to maintain and enhance them.
Interfaces between different research groups at Utrecht University and societal partners have in recent years led to concrete and successful cooperation in the field of ecosystem services. The Academy of Ecosystem Services intends to function as a platform to stimulate this type of exchange between science and practice. The Academy focuses on biodiversity conservation, ecosystem dynamics, land use planning and greening value chains.
During the Seminar on 8 July, the Academy of Ecosystem Services will be launched. The new Prince Bernhard Chair for International Nature Conservation will provide a keynote, in addition to presentations of academic and societal partners of the Academy. In four breakout groups, participants will explore opportunities for collaboration on 1) conserving biodiversity, 2) understanding ecosystem dynamics, 3) optimizing land use planning, and 4) greening value chains.
9.00 – 9.15 hours
Welcome and introduction
Pita Verweij, Marijke van Kuijk, René Boot, Martin Wassen
9.15 – 9.30 hours
9.30 – 10.30 hours
Examples of current research:
- Can we 'build with nature' to combine biodiversity conservation and water regulation in stream riparian zones? - Dr. Merel Soons
- Marker Wadden: using soft mud to create a dynamic wetland system - Rémon Saaltink MSc.
- Putting bison to work: ecosystem effects of using European bison as a restoration tool - Dr. Maria Ferreira dos Santos
- Unravelling the Amazon’s diversity - The importance of migration in explaining species composition of tropical trees - Edwin Pos MSc.
- Shaded coffee systems: double dividend for biodiversity and small-scale farmers? - Rosalien Jezeer MSc.
- Greening palm oil: what role can under-utilized land play? - Dr. Birka Wicke
10.30 – 11.00 hours
11.00 – 11.30 hours
Prince Bernhard Chair for International Nature Conservation
11.30 – 12.30 hours
Identification of options for future research collaboration relevant to practice in relation to:
- conserving biodiversity
- understanding ecosystem dynamics
- optimizing land use planning
- greening value chains
12.30 – 13.00 hours
13.00 – 14.00 hours
Partners of the Academy of Ecosystem Services are: the groups Ecology & Biodiversity, Energy & Resources, and Environmental Sciences of Utrecht University, the Prince Bernhard Chair for International Nature Conservation, the Trésor Foundation, Tropenbos International, and WWF Netherlands.
The seminar is open to all people interested, inside and outside academia. To attend the seminar, please register through this link.
Prof.dr. René Boot, Academic leader of the Academy
Dr. Marijke van Kuijk and Dr. Pita Verweij, coördinators of the Academy