This meeting will be dedicated to the farewell address of Prof. Gloria Wekker (Gender Studies and Department of Media and Culture Studies): 'White Innocence: Paradoxes of Colonialism and Race'. Wekker has been part of the Gender Studies team at Utrecht University for nearly twenty years.
Professor Wekker has made a significant contribution to the design of the Utrecht Universities Gender and Postcolonial Studies teaching and research programme. Central to the symposium will be the presentation of her new book White Innocence: Paradoxes of Colonialism and Race (Duke University Press, 2016).
- 13.00 - 13.10: Welcome and introduction by Prof. Rosemarie Buikema, Chair of Gender Studies, Faculty of Humanities
- 13.10 - 13.15: Introduction of the program by Nancy Jouwe MA
- 13.15 - 14.15: Lecture by Prof. Gloria Wekker, including short Q and A
- 14.15 - 14.35: Presentation of the book to Prof. Philomena Essed (Antioch University’s Graduate School of Leadership and Change, U.S.) and short response
- 14.35 - 14.45: Presentation of the book to Prof. Halleh Ghorashi (VU) and short response
- 14.45 - 15.15: Conversation and burning questions, between Prof. Gloria Wekker, Prof. Philomena Essed and Prof. Halleh Ghorashi . Discussion leader: Nancy Jouwe MA
- 15.15 - 15.25: Break
- 15.25 - 16.15: Round Table with (ex-) students: Dr Domitilla Olivieri, Nancy Jouwe MA, Maayke Botman MA, Phoebe Mbasalaki MA, Fenneke Wekker MA. Discussion leader: Prof. Rosemarie Buikema
- 16.15 - 16.20: Closing words, Nancy Jouwe MA and Prof. Rosemarie Buikema
- 16.20 - 18.00: Reception
The feminist book store Savannah Bay, Utrecht, will be selling the book White Innocence.