The flow of refugees towards Europe dominates the media and our minds these past months. The images of drowned men, women and children, and of the barbed wire that appears in ever more places in Europe, demand our attention and our compassion.
After the successful series of debates "Terrorism and the Rule of law" in the spring of 2015, there is a new series of public meetings, this time about the refugee crisis. They are organised by researchers mr. dr. Hanneke van Eijken and mw. mr. Pauline Phoa LLM in cooperation with the Utrecht research programs Institutions for Open Societies and RENFORCE.
The university, and more specifically the Faculty of Law, Economics and Governance with a large curriculum in the area of EU and international (criminal) law and human rights, has a public responsibility to offer our students and staff a forum for debate. What aspects does this complex issue consist of, how can we participate in the public debate in a critical and well-informed way, and how can students and researchers contribute to finding a solution?
Acclaimed scholars and experts from the field will present short introductions on a wide range of topics/a central them of the evening, after which they will enter into a discussion with the audience. After each session, there will be time to share a drink.
Session 1 - 22 October 2015: Kick-off bijeenkomst: Europa en de Ander: de vluchtelingencrisis in multidisciplinair perspectief (in Dutch)
- Introduction of the discussion series by prof. dr. Linda Senden, mr. dr. Hanneke van Eijken and mw. mr. Pauline Phoa LLM (European Law, Utrecht University).
- Performance of ‘Vluchtverhaal’, a play by musician Monir Goran and poet Baban Kirkuki about their experience as refugees.
Session 2 - 11 November 2015: Status is everything: refugees, asylum-seekers, migrants (in Dutch)
- Eduard Nazarski (Amnesty Nederland)
- Nora Stel MA (Utrecht University, Conflict Studies)
- dr. Karin Geuijen and dr. Gijs Jan Brandsma (Utrecht University, School of Governance)
- Antoni Barshini (Utrecht University, student Utrecht Law College)
Session 3 - 2 december 2015: Europa en de Ander (in Dutch)
- dr. Mathieu Segers (Utrecht University, International Relations)
- Sander Terphuis (Iranian refugee, lawyer and prominent member of the Dutch political party PvdA) See also volkskrant.nl.
- mr. dr. Ton van den Brink (International and European Law, Utrecht University)
Session 4 - 7 January 2016: The refugee crisis and the external relations of the European Union (in English)
January 7 2016, 19.00-21.00, Achter Sint Pieter 200 (Raadzaal)
- dr. Seline Trevisanut (Utrecht University, International and European Law, expert on irregular migration by Sea in EU and international law)
- dr. Narin Idriz (Utrecht University, International and European Law, expert on EU enlargement and negotiations with Turkey)
- Kati Piri (European Parliament, member of the Committee on Foreign Affairs)
Session 5 - February/March 2016: Refugee crisis - international upheaval, local solutions? (in Dutch)
More details to be announced.
Speakers, among others:
- Hawar Mouhiddine (Vluchtelingenwerk and PvDA Raadslid Papendrecht) (to be confirmed)
- Rodaan Al Galidi (refugee, writer of poetry collections and novels)