Breaking Science 2023 - heat 2
Utrecht research explained in three minutes
Breaking Science is back! During the annual science communication competition, early-career researchers have just three minutes to pitch their research or a scientific concept from their field of study. Who can tell the most convincing science story of 2023?
Breaking Science is a science communication battle for young scientists organized by Utrecht University and UMC Utrecht. We aim to help discover charismatic, up-coming researchers who can inspire you to see the world from a completely new perspective… all in a timespan of just three minutes!
In total 28 candidates will battle during four heats, on May 15 (heat 1), May 17 (heat 2), May 22 (heat 3) and May 24 (heat 4). Each heat sends through their two winners to the big final on May 31st. Come join us in supporting the researchers!
Wondering which contestants are competing in heat 2? You can learn more about the candidates and their research on our website.
The rules for Breaking Science are few, but crucial:
- Each competitor has 3 minutes and not a second more to present any scientific, engineering, mathematical or medical topic of their choice;
- PowerPoint slides are taboo, as are any other electronic presentation or audio recording types;
- Participants can only use the props that they can carry onto stage themselves.
A jury, consisting of a science journalist and an experienced Utrecht researcher will tighten the screws on the pitch and provide crucial constructive feedback. They will determine the winners on the basis of three selection criteria: quality of content, clarity of presentation and charisma. Who can tell the most convincing science story of 2023?
- Start date and time
- End date and time
- Bar – Parnassos Cultuurcentrum, Kruisstraat 201, 3581GK, Utrecht
- Entrance fee
No application necessary, but places are limited so be on time
- More information
- More about Breaking Science