2. Utrecht University has some beautiful libraries full of unique hidden spots to study in; this is great until you go to the toilet and can’t find your way back.
3. You struggle to find housing, The university tells you, previous and current students tell you, the Dutch news tells you, the nice lady who made your sandwich told you. Utrecht is a student’s paradise and so housing demand is high – stay positive, start early and be bold because once you have that room it will be amazing.
4. You will feel a surge in productivity, you work tirelessly in the library (not daring to go to the toilet), reading, writing and learning, such is the study environment at UU. Your pride at your productivity fades when you realise your Dutch colleagues study just as hard as you in addition to working two jobs, participating in a student organisation, starting their own company, holding a seat on the UN security council … ok I exaggerate but it is true that Dutch students WORK HARD.
5. Something (or someone) will fall off your bike, you start to really love your bike as it takes you from A to B in a fast, sustainable and healthy way. However, your love is tested when you bike suddenly jettisons a component, if you’re lucky it will be just a mud guard; if you are me, it is the front wheel that flies of your bike at the city’s busiest junction.
6. After some practice you will say something in Dutch, only for the person to smile, suppress a gentle laugh and respond in English.