Working/doing an internship as a non-EU/EER student

Working a side job: rules and regulations

If you are not from the EU/EEA or Switzerland, there are some restrictions if you want to work next to your studies:

  • Your employer must give you a personal work permit. They must apply for this permit for you.
  • You can work for a maximum of 16 hours a week during the year or full-time during June, July and August.
  • Self-employment*: In case you decide to work for yourself, there is no maximum amount of hours you can work. You also don’t have to apply for a work permit.

More information can be found in the flyer by the Dutch Ministry of Social Affairs and Employment.

*Please be aware that there are some disadvantages to self-employment. You can find more information about that here: Student in the Netherlands: Starting your own business ( We also recommend our students to be aware of possible false self-employment, you can find more information about that here: Avoid false self-employment |

Doing an internship: rules and regulations

You are free to do an internship as part of your studies if you still follow the requirements for your residence permit for study purposes. If you get paid less than the Dutch minimum wage, it does not count as paid work, and you do not need a work permit. You do however have to keep the following in mind:

  • As a non-EU/EEA student, you need to sign an internship agreement. This agreement must be signed by you, your internship provider, and the UU. You can find an example of such an agreement on the Study in Holland website.
  • Receiving a stipend or salary might have implications for your health insurance and taxation liabilities. You can find more information on the Study in Holland website.

Basic healthcare insurance

When you have a (part-time) job that pays at least Dutch minimum wage, you must take out Dutch public health insurance. You can find more information on the Zorgverzekeringslijn website.

Do you work on a self-employed basis? Please contact the Sociale Verzekeringsbank (SVB) and request an assessment of your so-called Wlz position. The SVB will decide whether you need to take out public health insurance or not.