Health insurance

Dutch law requires everyone living in the Netherlands to have adequate health insurance. This means you must provide proof that you have arranged an adequate health insurance policy for the visa/residence permit application.

If you are applying for a Utrecht University bachelor’s or master’s programme, your insurance must cover at least the first twelve months of your study programme (from 1 February 2023 to 31 January 2024). If you are an exchange student, your health insurance must cover at least your official exchange period at Utrecht University in the Netherlands.

We recommend the ICS Complete+ student insurance package from Aon, as the cover meets all the legal requirements for health insurance in the Netherlands. View insurance on the Aon website: ICS Complete+ insurance. If you take out the Aon ICS Complete+ insurance policy, you must upload a copy of your Aon certificate as proof of health insurance cover. You can download this PDF file in your Aon account.

If you have another health insurance policy, you must upload a copy of your insurance policy (in Dutch, English, French or German) and (if applicable) your health insurance card. Please note that we can only accept your insurance if it provides cover equivalent to the Aon student insurance package mentioned above. This includes cover (regardless of whether you actually need it) in the Netherlands for all of the following:

  • Pre-existing medical conditions
  • (Pre-existing) psychological conditions
  • Medical costs of up to at least €500,000 (no excess)

You can read more about this subject on the health insurance page for non-EU/EEA students.