Unlike to what you might be used to, Dutch Universities do not own student housing. Utrecht University reserves a number of furnished rooms and studios for new eligible international students who meet the requirements, but this is limited. Because the accommodation is not owned by Utrecht University, contracts are between the tenant and the housing provider. Please be aware that finding housing via this programme is not guaranteed and usually books up quick. Please read the information below to check if you are eligible to apply for this programme.
Reserved Accommodation Programme February 2020
Know that your eligibility for the Reserved Accommodation Programme is checked when you register with a housing provider and verified by Utrecht University. Also be aware that the accommodation is only available for fixed rental periods. It is not possible to stay longer or shorter, even if you plan to study in Utrecht for longer than one year. If you are not eligible to rent within the programme, or if you are searching for a different rental period please follow this link for information on other ways to find housing.
- Who can apply: New international Erasmus/Exchange students who do not yet live in the Netherlands and who plan to enrol per February 2020 for a full semester
- Fixed rental period: The fixed rental period for Erasmus/Exchange students is 5 months: 1 February 2020 - 30 June 2020. Please contact us if you plan to study for two Erasmus/Exchange semesters and aim to register for a fixed rental period of 12 months
Master's Degree students:
- Who can apply: New international Master’s degree students who do not yet live in the Netherlands, and who plan to enrol per February 2020 for the first year of an English taught Master’s degree programme
- Fixed rental period: The fixed rental period for Master's degree students is 12 months, 1 February 2020 - 28 January 2021
For students who meet the requirements, housing provider SSH Short Stay offers a limited number of furnished private and shared rooms in international student flats, and a limited number of furnished private studios. Because the number of reserved SSH Short Stay accommodations is limited and very popular, anticipate that you might not be able to book this way, even if you apply in time and meet the requirements for the Reserved Accommodation Programme.
When to apply
Before you are able to book accommodation with SSH Short Stay you need aan approved registration. Registration with SSH Short Stay is possible from Tuesday 22 October 2019 onwards for all students eligible for the Reserved Accommodation Programme. After you registered your registration is reviewed by Utrecht University for eligibility. If your SSH Short Stay registration is approved you can submit a booking request as of Tuesday 29 October 2019 9.00 AM Central European Time (CET). Once booking opened it is on first come, first served basis and not guaranteed. Know that it is possible to reserve housing via SSH Short Stay prior to your formal admission.
Registration for students who are planning to enrol per February 2020 opens 22 October 2019. If you register with SSH prior to this date by selecting another resident type, school or semester, this will delay your housing registration and decrease your chances of succesfully booking accommodation.
- Registration with SSH Short Stay for the next spring semester is possible from 22 October 2019 onwards via the website of SSH. Click on "Register for Short Stay accommodation" for the webform
- Fill in the SSH Short Stay webform with your correct information and UU Student Number. Select the correct "Faculty/Department" and "Type of residence" UU Exchange or UU Master after choosing for Utrecht University
- Your registration will be reviewed by Utrecht University
- If your registration is correct you can submit a reservation request on 29 October 2019 9.00 AM CET. In the FAQ you can find more information on how to check the status of your registration
- If you reserve accommodation you pay a non-refundable reservation fee of 77,50 euros, a one-off cleaning fee, and the first and last month's rent as a deposit
Type of accommodation
With the exception of the private studios, tenants share facilities like the bathroom and kitchen with the other housemates. All accommodations have internet provided.
The monthly rental fees are roughly 350 euros for a shared room, to 425-535 euros for a private room, and up to 760 euros for a private studio including utilities.
Registration for SSH Short Stay is free of charge. Only when you submit a reservation request you pay the 77,50 euro reservation fee, the one-off cleaning fee (variable), and the first and last month’s rent as a deposit. This payment must be paid within 24 hours by Visa- or Mastercard to finalise the reservation.
The accommodation in the Reserved Accommodation Programme is only available for fixed rental periods and for the first year of studies only:
- Erasmus/Exchange students: 5 months only, 1 February 2020 - 30 June 2020. Please contact us if you plan to study for two Erasmus/Exchange semesters and aim to register for a fixed rental period of 12 months
- Master's degree students: 12 months only, 1 February 2020 - 28 January 2021
SSH Short Stay offers a range of accommodation at Utrecht Science Park, the nearby Municipality of Zeist and in Utrecht’s City Centre. All accommodation is situated within travelling distance from the university. Please be aware that although the number of locations and accommodations may seem vast when booking opens, offers usually book up very quick.
Will I be assigned a ranking number based on my time and date of registration?
No, the date and time that you register does not have influence on your chances when booking opens. Do bear in mind that once you registered it can take some time before we have checked your registration. We therefore advise you not to wait to a later date than 22 October with your registration. It is also important that you only register once and carefully check if your details are correct.
Where can I find the status of my registration?
Registration opens 22 October 2019. You need a correct registration in order to submit a reservation request on the booking date 29 October. You can check the status of your registration if you log into your SSH Short Stay account and select My information > Change Personal Information > My Registrations.
- Status 'For Approval': your registration still needs to be checked by Utrecht University
- Status 'Approved': Your registration has been checked by Utrecht University and is correct. You will receive an automated e-mail from SSH with more information
- Status 'Not Approved': Your registration has been checked by Utrecht University and is incorrect. You will receive an e-mail from SSH with more information on why your registration has not been approved
How do I increase my chances of booking SSH Short Stay accommodation?
Once booking opens on the booking date and time that applies to you, the accommodation is rented out on a first come, first served basis. You are therefore advised not to postpone this to a later date or time. Also take into account that the servers will be busy when booking opens. Still, even if you keep to the booking date and time, there is a chance that you will not be able to arrange housing via SSH Short Stay. Take this in mind and also explore alternative options beforehand.
Do I receive a refund if I cancel my reservation with SSH Short Stay prior to my arrival?
This is determined in the Terms and Conditions that apply to your contract. Cancellation is possible at least four weeks prior to the intended start of the rental period. If you have a confirmed timely cancellation request you will be refunded the down payment minus the reservation fee of 77,50 euros and minus the cancellation fee of 75 euros. However, if you cancel the reservation within four weeks prior to the intended start of the rental period, or if you fail to show after the rental period has started, the rental contract will be terminated and you will not be refunded the down payment.
Can I rent SSH Short Stay accommodation for longer or shorter?
This is not possible. SSH Short Stay accommodation is only available for fixed rental periods and for the first year of studies only. If you are looking for accommodation for a shorter time frame, for example because you are planning to conduct research or do an internship abroad, it is not possible to book this accommodation.
Does SSH Short Stay offer accommodation to couples or families?
SSH Short Stay does not offer accommodation for students who bring their spouse, partner or family. If you are looking for accommodation that is suitable for a family, please read our tips and tricks that can help you find accommodation on your own.
What if I am unable to book via the Reserved Accommodation Programme?
Because the number of reserved accommodations is limited, many students have to search for a room on their own. This can be difficult and time-consuming but the right preparation can increase your chances. At Utrecht University we aim to help and inform you best we can. Follow this link for tips, tricks and important things to keep in mind during your search. Also, if you have any questions or need additional advice make sure to reach out to us!
Is your question not answered in this FAQ? Please check SSH’ page for Utrecht University students for links to the Terms and Conditions and the residence buildings. If you are seeking additional advice or information, let us know!