Incluusion Buddy Program
Are you a student and do you want to contribute to the academic integration of refugee students at Utrecht University? Join Incluusion's buddy system to help newcomers get used to everyday life at Utrecht University. In return, you might get new experiences, new perspectives, and who knows, maybe even a new friend!
Being an Incluusion Buddy
- Buddy Training: Before the start of each block, a 3-hour training will be organized to prepare you for your buddy-role. You will learn about the asylum procedure in the Netherlands, intercultural communication, which topics are useful and interesting to discuss with your Incluusion students, and when and how to refer students if they need more help.
- Matching: Together with another buddy volunteer, you will be paired up to 1 or 2 Incluusion students. The group size depends on the number of applications we receive each block. Before the matching process, we will organise a speeddating event for buddies and Incluusion students. After that, you can tell us your preferences (if you have any), so we can take those into account.
- Social events: Incluusion organises two events each block, aimed at stimulating interaction between buddies and Incluusion students.
- Communication: On top of the social events, you will stay in touch with "your" students throughout the academic block.
- Commitment: You commit to being a buddy for 1 block. However, you are more than welcome to participate in the buddy programme for several blocks! Being a buddy student will take up to two hours a week.
The programme per block is published at the end of this page.
Ways in which you can help:
- You can help Incluusion students navigate the UU buildings, platforms and services.
- You help to build a social network, which will help to create a sense of belonging at the UU.
- You can talk about what studying at the UU and living in the Netherlands is like.
- You can support their learning process. For instance, by giving tips on writing assignments/presenting/studying for an exam, explaining how to deal with course literature and references, and assisting in the use of Blackboard, Osiris, MS Teams.
- Ideally, you will meet up at least once every two weeks with your student(s).
Participation is on a voluntary basis, thanks for helping!
The buddy program is a win-win situation: you will learn and give knowledge!
Sign up as a Buddy
You can sign up throughout the year. If you want to sign up with a friend, you can indicate this on the form. In that case, we will make sure that the two of you become a buddy-pair.
Usually new buddies start in the upcoming academic block, but sometimes you can already participate in the social events of the current block.