There are different options for obtaining a PhD position at Utrecht University. As a PhD candidate in the Netherlands, you are not a student but a university employee in most cases. If we are not able to employ you, you may want to look for funding in your country of residence for private scholarships.
Please note that PhD applicants have to demonstrate mastery of English before being accepted into one of our programmes:
- TOEFL, iBT. minimum score: 93, institutional scores are not accepted.
- IELTS, Academic Module. Minimum score: 6.5 overall band, at least 6 for writing.
- Cambridge Certificate:
- Cambridge English C1 Advanced (CAE). Minimum score: 176 total, 169 writing
- Cambridge English C2 Proficiency (CPE). Minimum score: 180 total, 169 writing
- Cambridge Michigan Language Assessment ECPE, C2 Certificate