Nine week online course ‘Fundamentals of Biofabrication’
18 November 2019 to 11 February 2020
Biofabrication combines advanced 3D fabrication techniques with biological systems to create designed tissue constructs, which can be applied for tissue engineering, as 3D in vitro biological models or as medical therapeutic products. This online course aims to provide the student with the fundamental knowledge on the various aspects of biofabrication, including 3D printing techniques, biomaterials, tissue engineering, applications, translation and ethics.
The course consists of web lectures as well as articles, group assignments, individual assignments, peer feedback and feedback from teachers. During the course you interact with other participants through assignments and discussions. The course is moderated actively by a professional moderator and teaching staff of the UMC Utrecht.
This is an online course stretching over 11 weeks, with a study load of approximately 10 hours per week. During the 2-week Christmas holidays there are no activities. Upon completion of the course you will obtain 3 EC (Utrecht University master students) or a certificate of completion with a study load indication of 3 EC.
To enroll in this course, you need:
- To be a master student with an interest in biomedical sciences and engineering and a background in medicine, life sciences, biology, bioengineering, Pharmaceutical Sciences or Chemistry (if including a biomedical component)
- Sufficient proficiency in English reading and writing
- You will be asked to submit a 300-400 word motivation letter describing your reasons for taking this course: your willingness to participate in its discussions and assignments and to meet deadlines. Please send it in an email to Paulina Nunez Bernal.
As Fundamentals of Biofabrication is an online course, you do need to have access to an internet connection in order to be able to follow lectures, complete assignments and communicate with fellow participants.
Registration and payment:
- Are you a Utrecht University master student or a master student at another Dutch University you can register via Osiris. You don’t have to pay a course fee.
- Are you interested in taking this course and not (yet) a master student at a Dutch University you can register and pay (course fee 695 euros) via Elevate.
Contact Paulina Nunez Bernal