There are several courses organised by the university to enhance your teaching and supervision skills.
- Start to Teach: Introduction Geosciences (complementary to Start to Teach UU) is a two-hour session that covers the basics of what it’s like to start teaching at the faculty of Geosciences. The session consists of three parts: ‘introduction and logistics’, ‘dos and don’ts when you start teaching’ and ‘getting to know your students’.
- University Teaching Qualification (UTQ, in Dutch BKO) is obligatory for university lecturers teaching in higher education. Every year Geosciences (in collaboration with O&T) organises eight meetings especially for teachers working at the faculty of Geosciences. Within the university framework, each individual faculty has its own interpretation of the basic and senior teaching qualifications. More information can be obtained at the Director of Education of your Department.
- Start to Teach: Utrecht University is a programme developed for all staff new to or interested in taking up teaching. The programme is open to all staff members who have little or no teaching experience. Doctoral candidates with teaching tasks are also welcome to join them.
- Educational Development & Training translates academic insights into the daily practice of teaching. As a teaching professional you can come to them throughout the course of your career for training, advice and solutions tailored to your specific teaching-related needs. For example:
- Teaching in working groups and seminars
- Teaching in the international classroom
- Supervising student research
- U-CAT serves as a platform for all activities taking place within the university in the area of improving teaching skills and encourages continuous improvement in education. Teachers can get informed, support and access to trainings which are aimed at their development and the renewal of their teaching skills.
- Teaching Academy Utrecht University (TAUU, part of U-CAT) is a platform organised by and intended for UU teachers (from PhD students to professors). On this Dutch website you can find a lot of information in the 'Kennisbank', and you can meet and speak with other teachers about topics in the various fora. Monthly meetings are organised and scheduled in the TAUU agenda.