The Descartes Centre offers fellowships to promote intellectual exchange and collaboration in the history and/or the philosophy of the sciences and the humanities.
Two kinds of fellowships are available:
- A Junior Fellow conducts research at Utrecht University and/or at Dutch museums or archives, and presents the results of his/her work at one of the colloquia of the Descartes Centre.
- A Senior Fellow not only conducts research but also contributes actively to the Descartes Centre by means of public lectures, research seminars and/or teaching.
Candidates should have a clear affinity with the history and/or the philosophy of the sciences and the humanities, as shown by their list of publications and research proposal. Furthermore, the application should demonstrate an existing or potential collaboration with one or more members of the Descartes Centre, a collaboration that is supported by a corresponding letter of recommendation.
Fellows are expected to participate in the activities of the Descartes Centre whenever possible. The start and end date of a fellowship should make such involvement practically feasible.
Fellowships are available for up to three months.
Senior Fellows can have their costs (housing etc.) compensated for with a maximum of €2500 per month; for Junior Fellows the maximum compensation is €1500. The permanent home address of the fellow should be outside of the Netherlands.
Candidates are invited to supply us with:
- a completed application form
- a curriculum vitae
- a list of publications (no longer than 2 pages)
- a research proposal of 750 words max.
- Senior Fellows should include an outline of the public lecture(s), research seminar(s) or other teaching activities that they propose to engage in while residing in Utrecht
- a letter of recommendation by at least one of the members of the Descartes Centre
Deadline for application: 1 May.
Please submit your application by email via firstname.lastname@example.org.
An overview of fellows from previous years is available on our Dutch website.