Ali Smith’s widely acclaimed Autumn is the selected novel for One Book One Campus, the reading event taking place at Utrecht University in Fall 2019, which culminates in a visit from Ali Smith herself.
Autumn is a novel about storytelling brimming with stories, and a novel about painting full of images. In Autumn one finds, among many other things, the Brexit referendum, pop-art, life and death, friendship and love, and – of course – falling leaves.
What does reading Autumn make you think about? What does it make you see? What does it make you want to say?
Write, paint, draw or photograph a creative response to Ali Smith’s Autumn and you can win up to € 250,- and publication of your entry in Paratext! Deadline for submissions: 27 October 2019 (23:59).
- 1st prize: € 250,-
- 2nd prize: € 100,-
- 3rd prize: € 50,-
The best three submissions will be shortlisted by the jury and announced in the week leading up to the event with Ali Smith at University College Utrecht, Thursday 7 November 2019. The winner is announced during the event on 7 November. The winner is invited to read/present their entry on stage. The winning entries will be published in the online magazine Paratext.
The jury members are: dr. Patricia Canning (UCU), dr. Simon Cook (UU), Saskia Soelaksana (editor Paratext), Pauw Vos (editor Paratext), and Timo Houtekamer (Savannah Bay).
What are you waiting for? Send your creative response by Sunday 27 October 2019 to email@example.com
- Your creative response clearly engages with Ali Smith’s Autumn
- Your creative response can take the form of a short story, poem, essay (max. 1500 words), graphic novel (max 3 pages), cartoon, painting, drawing, collage, or photography
- Visual responses must have a caption
- All submissions must be in English or Dutch
- The contest is open to non-professional writers and artists currently living in the Netherlands
- Submissions should be original and unpublished works
- There is a maximum of one submission per person
- Texts must be in Times New Roman, 12 pts and submitted as pdf-file (.pdf).
- Visual entries must be submitted as pdf-file (.pdf)
- Entries must be submitted with a separate title page which contains your full name, your email address, and a pseudonym. Write the pseudonym (and NOT your name) on the entry itself.