Utrecht Excellence Scholarships
Highly talented prospective students from non-EU/EEA countries
Depends on the programme (between around €5.000 and €17.000)
|Number of scholarships/year|
Approximately two for the Bachelor’s in Economics and Business Economics, approximately five for Liberal Arts and Sciences at University College Utrecht, one for Philosophy, Politics and Economics and one for Global Sustainability Science
Utrecht University and alumni of Utrecht University
Aim of the programme
The Utrecht Excellence Scholarship offers a number of highly talented prospective students the opportunity to pursue a degree in a selected number of fields at Utrecht University:
International bachelor’s programmes:
- Economics and Business Economics
- Liberal Arts and Sciences at University College Utrecht (different procedures apply to UCU applicants, please see the University College Utrecht website)
- Philosophy, Politics and Economics
- Global Sustainability Science
The scholarship programme is highly selective: only candidates who show the highest achievement and promise are eligible for a scholarship.
Duration and number of scholarships
Selected students will receive a scholarship for the duration of the degree programme. This is a maximum of three years for bachelor’s degrees. Approximately nine scholarships are awarded each year (approximately two for the bachelor’s in Economics and Business Economics, one for Global Sustainability Science, one for Philosophy, Politics and Economics and five for Liberal Arts and Sciences at University College Utrecht). The scholarship will only be renewed for the second (and third) year if the student makes satisfactory progress towards the degree. More information about study progress monitoring.
Selected students will be awarded a scholarship ranging from €5,000 to €17,000 (depending on the programme) per year. However, students should be aware that the grant is not necessarily a full scholarship and that it may be necessary to find additional funding to fully finance their study and living costs. As one of the requirements to be granted a residence permit for the Netherlands, students from abroad must prove to the IND (Immigration and Naturalisation Service) that they have sufficient financial means. View the budget that the university advises for more information.
The applicant must meet the eligibility criteria to be considered for this scholarship. The applicant should:
- not hold a Dutch or EU/EEA passport and not be eligible for support under the Dutch study grant and loan system.
- possess a non-Dutch secondary school certificate.
- have been admitted to the bachelor’s programme in Economics and Business Economics, Philosophy, Politics and Economics, Global Sustainability Science or to University College Utrecht.
- hold a relevant secondary school qualification certificate (for a bachelor’s programme) or equivalent.
- be able to comply with the conditions that must be met to obtain a Dutch visa.
Failure to meet one or more of these criteria automatically means the student is not eligible for this scholarship.
Eligible candidates will be selected for a scholarship based on the following criteria:
- Their academic excellence and promise in the proposed field of study.
- Their academic quality and results of their previous education, as evidenced by grades and test scores etc.
- The quality of the application itself (completeness, accuracy, consistency).
It is not possible to apply for the Utrecht Excellence Scholarship. The selection committee of the programme will select eligible candidates on the basis of the selection criteria mentioned above. The selected candidates will be offered an Utrecht Excellence Scholarship at the latest in May.
Please note that students starting their programme in February are not eligible for the Utrecht Excellence Scholarships.
While it is not possible to apply for the scholarship, the selection committees review the application files for possible nominees. Prospective bachelor’s students in Economics and Business Economics, Global Sustainability Science and Philosophy, Politics and Economics who wish to be considered for the scholarship should apply for admission before 1 February 23:59 CET. Different procedures apply for Liberal Arts and Sciences at University College Utrecht. Please see the University College Utrecht website for information about applying.
The funds for the scholarships come from the Utrecht Excellence Scholarship Fund, established by Utrecht University, and contributions from Utrecht University alumni.