Application and admission
On this page you can find all the information you need to find out if you are admissible for this programme and what you need to sign up.
Check here if you are admissible for this programme. Please choose the situation that applies to you.
I have obtained a:
Please look at the specific requirements on the Dutch page.
In the Netherlands, only the Dutch vwo diploma gives direct access to a university education. If you hold a foreign secondary school diploma, International Student Admissions will need to determine whether you can be admitted to the University. In this case, they will verify if your diploma is considered equivalent to a Dutch VWO diploma. You can check whether your diploma meets this requirement in this diploma equivalency list
Minimum requirements for secondary school
Applicants must have:
- a Dutch secondary school diploma at vwo level (vwo-profile 'Natuur en Techniek' or 'Natuur en Gezondheid' with Physics) or
- an international equivalent with Mathematics, Physics and Chemistry as required subjects
European Baccalaureate (all as written exams)
- Mathematics (at least 3 hours per week in the final 2 years)
International Baccalaureate diploma
- Chemistry: Higher Level
- Physics and Mathematics (not Mathematical Studies!): Standard Level
- Mathematics - Analysis and Approaches: Standard Level or Mathematics - Applications and Interpretation: Higher Level (new curriculum as of 2019)
Students with British A-levels can be considered for admission if they have at least 3 GCE A-levels with a minimum score of CCC. Subjects must include:
- Chemistry (A-level), Physics (at least A/S-level) and Mathematics (at least A/S level) or
- Chemistry (A-level), Biology (A-level) and Mathematics (at least A/S level). In addition a GCSE in Physics (with at least a B grade/ grade 6) is required.
Zeugnis der Algemeinen Hochschulreife (Abitur)
- Abiturprüfungsfach: Chemistry
- Grundkurs: Physics
- Up to and including year 12: Mathematics
US High School Diploma (USA)
- In addition to the completed High School Diploma, we require students to obtain at least 4 Advanced Placements (AP's) of the US College Board, all with a score of -3- or higher, among which at least an AP Calculus AB, an AP Physics 1 and an AP Chemistry, all with a score of -3- or higher.
What if I am missing one of the above-mentioned courses in my profile?
The Admissions Office determines whether your diploma is equivalent to a Dutch high school diploma. If the level is insufficient and/or subject(s) are missing, they will advise you how to remedy this. There are private institutions, e.g Boswell-Bèta, WisMon or CCVX where you can gain your qualification prior to the start of the programme. You will need to have met all the programme's subject requirements (including the language test) and send a hardcopy of your diploma(s) to the Admissions Office no later than 31 August.
If you require an entry visa/residence permit for study purposes you have to meet:
- The graduation of your secondary school diploma no later than 31 August
- All the other subject requirements before 15 June
The Admissions Offiice will guide you through this step. In case you fail to meet all educational entry requirements by this deadline, the offered place will be canceled. This entails that you must participate again in a selection procedure in a new academic year. You can ask the university to cancel your selection attempt. There is a national maximum of three selection attempts for one programme.
In the Netherlands, only the Dutch VWO diploma gives direct access to a university education. If you hold a foreign secondary school diploma, International Student Admissions will need to determine whether you can be admitted to the University. In this case, they will verify if your diploma is considered equivalent to a Dutch VWO diploma. You can check whether your diploma meets this requirement in this diploma equivalency list.
English language requirements
Utrecht University accepts the following exams as proof of proficiency in English:
- IELTS, Academic Module. Minimum score: 6.0 overall band, 5.5 for writing.
IELTS is the test preferred by Utrecht University.
- TOEFL, Internet based. Minimum score: 83. Institutional scores are not accepted.
The TOEFL institution code for Utrecht University is 9062.
- Cambridge Certificates:
- Cambridge English C1 Advanced (CAE). Minimum score: 169 total, 162 writing.
- Cambridge English C2 Proficiency (CPE). Minimum score: 180 total, 162 writing.
You are considered to be proficient in English and do not need to provide a test score if:
- You obtained your secondary school diploma in Australia, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand, Singapore, UK, USA or South Africa,
- You obtained an International Baccalaureate Diploma (with English A or B as final exam subject at either Standard or Higher Level) or European Baccalaureate Diploma (with English as Language 1 or 2)
- You had English at the required level in one of the following diploma programmes:
- Aruban VWO-Diploma (final exam subject);
- Austrian Reifezeugnis (Prüfungsfach);
- Belgian Getuigschrift Algemeen Secundair Onderwijs (up to and including the final year);
- Curaçao VWO-Diploma (final exam subject);
- Danish Bevis for Højere Hændelseksamen (HHX)/Bevis for Studentereksamen /Højere Forberedelseksamen (HF)/Højere Teknisk Examen (HTX) (up to and including the final year);
- Finnish Ylioppilastutkintotodistus/Studenteksamensbevis/Matriculation Examination Certificate (final exam subject, Basic or Advanced Syllabus);
- French Diplôme du Baccalauréat Général, Option Internationale du Baccalauréat (OIB) (Section américaine or Section britannique only);
- German Zeugnis der allgemeinen Hochschulreife (Abitur) (at least Grundkursfach);
- Icelandic Studentprof of the Mentaskoli, with the Maladeild/Staerofraedideild profile (up to and including the final year);
- Norwegian Vitnemål videregåonde opplaering (at least ENG1002);
- Surinamese VWO-Diploma (final exam subject);
- Swedish Gymnasieexamen/Yrkesexamen (up to and including the final year);
- Swiss Maturitätszeugnis/Diplôme de Maturité/Attestato di Maturitá (up to and including the final year).
Here you can find more information about the application procedure for this programme.
I want to apply with a:
Do you have a Dutch diploma? Please read this information on the Dutch page.
The following steps will help you submit a complete application for this programme:
- Check whether you meet the entry requirements.
- Read the Application instructions to make sure you have all the required documentation for your application.
- Submit your enrolment application via Studielink for the Dutch 'Farmacie' bachelor (code 56157) at Utrecht University between 10 October and 15 January.
- Upon submitting your enrolment application in Studielink, you will receive an email with login details for OSIRIS Online Application. Send in the required documents (A) and forms (B) and make sure they arrive before the deadline (31 January).
A. Required Documents
- A scan of your passport
- If applicable: a scan of your Dutch residence permit
- A scan of your diploma(s) or diploma statement (if necessary with official translations)
- A scan of your transcript(s) (if necessary with official translations)
- A scan of your official English language test report or certificate hyperlink to entry requirements onder English language test
B. Required Forms
A parallel process is started in OSIRIS Online Application for the programme you applied for. You will receive a second email with your personal login details. At the start of the questionnaire (under ‘Information’) you will be asked if you want to apply for Farmacie or CPS. As part of the questionnaire you will be asked to upload a recommendation form. If you like to take a look at the questions of the forms, please click here: background questionnaire and recommendation form.
For more information about the selection procedure, please visit selection for admission.
5. Pay the application fee, if applicable.
6. Your application is reviewed by International Student Admissions to see if it is complete, whether your diploma is equivalent to a Dutch vwo diploma, and whether you meet the subject requirements.
7. Within 6 weeks after we have received your complete application, you will receive the official admissions decision.
8. For applicants from China only: apply for a Nuffic Certificate.
If you are conditionally accepted, you will be asked to send certified hard copies of your diploma and transcript (if necessary with official translations) to the International Student Admissions by post, so that the authenticity of these documents can be checked.
Why you should start in time
If you send us your documents shortly before the last deadline, and it turns out that they are incomplete or do not meet our requirements, or the mail takes longer than you expected, your application cannot be processed.
It also takes time to prepare for any possible additional exams you may need to take, so the sooner you know, the better!
After your application
Utrecht University communicates primarily through email. Please check your spam folder often during the application process, as we have noticed our emails are sometimes registered as spam.
On 15 April, you will receive your ranking number from Studielink via email. The CPS will send you an explanatory email concerning the ranking number.
If you have been conditionally admitted, you will need to have met all subject requirements (including the language test if applicable) before 31 August. If you require a visa and/or residence permit to study in the Netherlands, any applicable entry exam (including the language test) must be passed before 15 June. Details will be communicated in your conditional offer letter. Please note the offer to accept a place states "Farmacie" but is valid for the "College of Pharmaceutical Sciences".
You will receive information on how to arrange the necessary practical matters (e.g. housing, a Dutch bank account, health care insurance, payment of your tuition fee, etc.).
Do you have a Dutch diploma? Read this information.
College of Pharmaceutical Sciences is a programme with a numerus fixus. That means not everyone who want to study this programme, can be allowed. Admission is only possible if you meet the requirements before the deadline and have successfully participated with the selection procedure.More about the selection procedure
Did you make your choice?
If you want to apply for College of Pharmaceutical Sciences, you have to submit your enrolment application via Studielink for the Dutch 'Farmacie' bachelor (code 56157) at Utrecht University.