Eligible candidates: Highly talented prospective students from non-EU/EEA countries
Amount of scholarship: Max. tuition fee + 11.000 euro living expenses per year
Number of scholarships/year: Approximately 2 for the Bachelor’s in Economics and Business Economics and approximately 5 for Liberal Arts & Sciences at University College Utrecht
Provided by: Utrecht University and alumni of Utrecht University
Deadline: It is not possible to apply for the scholarship, but the selection committees review the application files for possible nominees.
Prospective Bachelor's students in Economics and Business Economics who wish to be considered for the scholarship should apply for admission before 1 April. Different procedures apply for Liberal Arts & Sciences at University College Utrecht, please proceed to the UCU website.
Aim of the programme
The Utrecht Excellence Scholarship offers a number of highly talented prospective students the opportunity to pursue a degree in a selected number of fields at Utrecht University:
International Bachelor’s programmes:
- Economics and Business Economics
- Liberal Arts & Sciences at University College Utrecht (different procedures apply for UCU applicants, please proceed to the UCU website)
The scholarship programme is highly selective. Only candidates showing the highest achievement and promise may receive a scholarship.
Duration and number of scholarships
Selected students receive a scholarship for the duration of the degree programme, which is a maximum of three years for a Bachelor’s degree. Approximately 7 scholarships are awarded each year (approximately 2 for the Bachelor’s in Economics and Business Economics and 5 for Liberal Arts & Sciences at University College Utrecht). The scholarship will only be renewed for the second (and third) year if the student is making satisfactory progress towards the degree.
Amount of scholarship
Selected students can be awarded a scholarship that covers the tuition fee and 11.000 euro living expenses per year. However, students should be aware that the grant is not necessarily a full scholarship, and that it may be necessary to find additional funding to be able to finance study and stay completely. As one of the requirements for being granted a residence permit in the Netherlands, students from abroad must prove to the IND (Immigration and Naturalisation Office) that they have sufficient financial means. Read more about the budget the University advises.
The applicant must meet the eligibility criteria in order to be considered for this scholarship. The applicant should:
- Not have the Dutch or an EU/EEA nationality and not be eligible for support under the Dutch system of study grants and loans;
- Hold a non-Dutch secondary school diploma;
- Have been admitted to the Bachelor’s programme in Economics and Business Economics or to University College Utrecht;
- Hold a relevant secondary school diploma (for a Bachelor’s programme), or an equivalent thereof;
- Be able to comply with the conditions to obtain a Dutch visa;
Failure to meet one or more of these criteria automatically means the student is not eligible for this scholarship.
Eligible candidates are selected for a scholarship on the basis of the following criteria:
- Their academic excellence and promise in the proposed field of study;
- The academic quality and results of the preceding education, as evidenced, for example, by grades, test scores, publications, letters of recommendation;
- The quality and relevance of the motivation letter (academic content, intercultural and communication skills, personal motivation);
- The quality of the application itself (completeness, accuracy, consistency).
It is not possible to apply for the Utrecht Excellence Scholarship. The selection committee of the programme will select eligible candidates on the basis of the selection criteria mentioned above. The selected candidates will be offered an Utrecht Excellence Scholarship at the latest in May.
Please note that students starting their programme in February are not eligible for the Utrecht Excellence Scholarships.
The funds for the scholarships come from the Utrecht Excellence Scholarship Fund, established by Utrecht University and from contributions by Utrecht University alumni.