Admission & Application: FAQ


Am I eligible with my secondary school diploma for a bachelor’s programme?

The eligibility of most common secondary school diploma are listed under entry requirements at each programme. If your secondary school diploma isn’t listed don’t hesitate to contact us. You can send an email to

What does a conditional admission mean?

Conditional admission means that you will be admitted after fulfilling all the requirements indicated in your conditional letter of acceptance. These requirements can range from sending in certified hard copies of your diploma and final transcript to extra courses. Some bachelor’s programmes at Utrecht University are selective or have a limited enrolment status, this means only a certain number of places are available in the programme. After receiving your conditional admission you will have to undergo a selection procedure. Please note that you need an unconditional letter of acceptance for enrolment.  In case of a selective or limited enrolment programme a Certificate of Admission is also necessary.

Application process

How can I start my application via Studielink?

In order to start your application you can login via Studielink. In case you meet any difficulties in starting your application, we advise you to check whether your question is answered on the Studielink FAQ page. On this page you can find several step-by-step guidelines. If you could not find your answer, you can always contact Student Services.

Please always check the complete application procedure on the page of the specific study programme you are interested in. This way you can make sure that you are not missing any steps.

When will I receive my login details for Osiris Online Application?

After you have completed part one of the application via Studielink, you will receive an email with login details for OSIRIS Online Application within 24 hours. If this is not the case please check your spam box or contact the Admissions Office at

I can no longer log into OOA, how can I obtain new login details?

Go to Osiris Online Application and click on ‘change user name/password forgotten?’ In case this doesn’t work please contact the Admission Office at

I don’t have a particular document, but still want to continue with my application, what do I do?

Please upload a pdf explaining the reason why you do not have this document. All requested documents are an essential part of your application file. Therefore, we can only process complete application files. In case you are not able to submit your application through Osiris Online Application because you are missing a document, please contact Student Services.

Do I have to pay an application fee?

It depends on your previous education if you have to pay the application fee. Please check the website about the application fee for more information.

How can I pay the application fee?

The application fee can be transferred by bank transfer or by credit card. Please check the website about the application fee for payment information.


What is a certificied copy and how can I obtain one?

A certified copy is a photocopy of your original diploma or transcript, carrying an official stamp and signature from the university that issued the original document. For more information watch this video

Does a document that I am uploading already have to be certified?

The scans of your diploma or transcript do not have to be certified. If the scans of your diploma and transcript are not in Dutch, English, French, German or Spanish they must be accompanied by an official translation, drawn up by a sworn translator and bearing the original stamp and professional details of the translator. 

Your proof of anticipated degree statement or school statement must carry a stamp from your university or school.

I’m asked to submit course information. What is this? (please contact the programme coordinator)

Certain programmes require official course descriptions provided by the educational institution which you are currently attending or have attended. A course description for instance details the themes or subject handled in the course, learning outcomes, amount of credits, teaching method.

I have not taken the relevant courses, what do I need to upload?

In order to properly assess whether you qualify for admission, it is important that we have the right information. It is therefore necessary that you apply through the regular admission procedure and submit the required documents, including information on relevant courses. If you do not have relevant courses it would be wise to contact the programme on your eligibility. You will find the contact details on the website of the programme under 'contact'.

I do not have a separate document for my diploma and transcript, what do I need to upload?

In this case you can upload the same document under diploma and transcript. 

I will only receive my official diploma after the deadline, what do I need to do?

We advise students to apply as soon as possible and you can even submit an application if you did not yet obtain your diploma. However, in that case we will need written proof that you are indeed in the final year of your secondary school and that it is likely that you will graduate soon. For this, you can ask your current school to write a statement. This statement must contain the following information:
- expected graduation date
- The subjects you will be taking your exams in.
- Name of the  diploma you will obtain. 
The statement must be signed and stamped by an official at your school.

Download the UU statement (pdf)

I haven’t taken an English Language Proficiency Test, can I apply?

Please note, it is not necessary to have passed the English test at the time of your application. The results can be submitted later. Please inform us of the test you will take and the date when you will take the test in your Osiris Online Application. More information.

Visa application

How much does a visa application cost?

The costs for the visa/residence permit application are € 192. Please note that you will have to transfer this to Utrecht University in combination with the tuition fee for the first academic year. In May or November, depending on the starting date of your programme you will receive the invoice by email. 

How much does it cost to study in the Netherlands as a non-EU student?

One of the conditions for your visa application set by the Dutch immigration Office is that a student has sufficient funds to stay and study in the Netherlands. More precisely, a student has sufficient funds to pay for their study and living expenses without needing to work. Generally this is about € 11,000 plus the tuition fee for the whole academic year. More details will be provided by email when it is time to start the application.

Do I have to apply for a visa/residence permit myself?

Visa/residence permit applications for a study at Utrecht University have to be submitted through Utrecht University. Your point of contact will always be Utrecht University and not the Dutch Immigration Office. The visa department will notify you by email when it is time to start the application.

Start at UU

What is my student number, and when will I receive this number?

After you have successfully submitted an enrolment request via Studielink for one of our programmes, you will receive an e-mail from Utrecht University stating your student number. Please mention your student number when contacting Utrecht University. 

When will I receive my Solis-id and password?

A Solis-id is a user name which, together with a password, gives access to Utrecht University services. You will gain access to this student account once you have been fully enrolled. Your Solis-id account number will usually be the same as your student number. New students will receive their Solis-id and password in two separate emails to their private email addresses.

More information on the Solid-id

When will I receive my Student Card?

As a student registered at Utrecht University, you will receive a digital student card stating the degree programme in which you are enrolled and the period of enrolment. You will find your student card once you’re fully enrolled in the MyUU app. You can log in to the app with your Solis-id. If you prefer a paper version or cannot use the app, you can print your Declaration of Enrolment from Osiris

More information on the Student Card