Candidates must meet a set of minimum requirements to be able to participate in the selection procedure which are outlined below.
Minimum requirements for secondary school
Applicants must have:
- a Dutch secondary school diploma at vwo level (vwo-profile 'Natuur en Techniek' or 'Natuur en Gezondheid' with Physics) or
- an international equivalent with Mathematics, Physics and Chemistry as required subjects
- Mathematics (at least 3 hours per week in the final 2 years)
International Baccalaureate diploma
- Higher level: Chemistry
- Standard level: Physics and Mathematics (not Mathematical Studies!)
Students with British A-levels can be considered for admission if they have at least 3 GCE A-levels. Subjects must include:
- Chemistry (A-level), Physics (at least A/S-level) and Mathematics (at least A/S level) or
- Chemistry (A-level), Biology (A-level) and Mathematics (at least A/S level). In addition a GCSE in Physics (with at least a B grade) is required.
Zeugnis der Algemeinen Hochschulreife (Abitur)
- Abiturprüfungsfach: Chemistry
- Grundkurs: Physics
- Up to and including year 12: Mathematics
US High School Diploma (USA)
- In addition to the completed High School Diploma, we require students to obtain at least 4 Advanced Placements (AP's) of the US College Board, all with a score of -3- or higher, among which at least an AP Calculus AB, an AP Physics 1 and an AP Chemistry, all with a score of -3- or higher.
What if I am missing one of the above-mentioned courses in my profile?
The Admissions Office of Utrecht University determines whether your diploma is equivalent to a Dutch high school diploma. If the level is insufficient and/or subject(s) are missing, they will advise you how to remedy this. There are private institutions, e.g Boswell-Bèta or CCVX where you can gain your qualification prior to the start of the programme.
Minimum requirements for English proficiency
As English is the official language at CPS, non-native speakers are required to demonstrate proof of proficiency. Utrecht University accepts the following exams:
- IELTS, Academic Module. Minimum score: 6.0 overall band, 5.5 for writing. IELTS is the test preferred by Utrecht University.
- TOEFL, Internet based. Minimum score: 83. Institutional scores are not accepted. The TOEFL institution code for Utrecht University is 9062.
- Cambridge Certificates: Advanced English or Proficiency in English, minimum score C.
You are considered to be proficient in English and do not need to provide an English language test score if:
- you obtained your secondary school diploma in Australia, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand, Singapore, UK, USA or South Africa, or
- you obtained an IB Diploma or EB Diploma (taught in English)
- you have a Dutch vwo diploma with English
Limited enrolment programme
If you don't meet the entry requirements when applying, but you’ve been selected for the programme, you must show no later than 31 July 2018 that you have passed all relevant entry examinations for the programme.