The Supervisory Board is the University’s statutory supervisory body. The Executive Board requires the approval of the Supervisory Board on the Strategic Plan, the Annual Report and the Annual Accounts.
The Executive Board informs the Supervisory Board of all major developments and events taking place at Utrecht University.
The Minister of Education, Culture and Science appoints the members of the Supervisory Board. One of its members maintains a confidential relationship with the University Council.
The Supervisory Board consists of the following members:
- Prof. E. (Emmo) Meijer (Chairman) fulfilled different positions in research and business management at DSM and Unilever, where he was responsible for R&D. He has been Corporate Director at FrieslandCampina since April. His additional functions include Professor by Special Appointment in Bio-Organic Chemistry at Eindhoven University of Technology, with which Utrecht University has a strategic alliance. He is also the Director at the Royal Holland Society of Sciences and Humanities).
- Prof. dr. W. (Wim) van de Donk was appointed Professor of Public Administration at Tilburg University in 1999. From 2004 to 2010, he served as Chairman of the Scientific Council for Government Policy (WRR). Van de Donk studied Public Administration at Radboud University Nijmegen (formerly called Catholic University Nijmegen). In 1997, he earned his doctorate, cum laude, for his dissertation on the role of Information and Communications Technology (ICT) in political decision-making, for which he received the G.A. van Poeljejaar Prize.
- N.J.J. (Niek Jan) van Kesteren LLM
Director General of the Confederation of Netherlands Industry and Employers VNO-NCW. Since 1987, Van Kesteren has been active at NCW which merged with VNO in 1994. He is also member of the Executive Board of the Social and Economic Council (SER) and member of the Executive Committee of European employers organisation Businesseurope.
- Drs. C. (Caroline) Princen
Member of the Board of ABN AMRO and responsible for Integration, Compliance as well as Communication & Branding. Before that she was Director General of Nedstaal.
- J. (Jan) van Zanen, LL.M., was a member of the Utrecht municipal council for the People's Party for Freedom and Democracy (VVD) from 1990 to 2002. He was the alderman responsible for Finance and Economic Affairs of the municipality of Utrecht from 1998 to 2005. He is the Mayor of Amstelveen since 2005.
Secretary to the Supervisory Board: Ellen B.A. Neslo LLM, Tel. +31 30 253 44 89, Fax +31 30 253 77 45, E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org, Heidelberglaan 8, 3584 CS Utrecht.