Educational and Learning Sciences
The Educational and Learning Sciences (ELS) programme is a collaborative initiative in which Utrecht University researchers from various disciplines participate. The goal is to contribute to key scientific issues in education and life-span expertise development – beginning in early childhood – as they relate to urgent societal concerns.
The ELS programme is based on the conviction that a multi-disciplinary approach is an absolute prerequisite to address wide-ranging, socio-educational issues in a truly innovative and effective way. All relevant disciplines are represented in ELS: educational sciences, linguistics, neurocognition, psychology, science and math didactics, sociology, governance and economics of education.
Education is recognized as the key to sustainable social and economic development in national and European policy agendas. Core priorities in policy and our research are:
- Improving the quality and efficiency of the education system, from preschool to higher education
- Increasing student engagement and preventing school drop-out
- Fostering individual excellence in math and science
- Introducing innovation in professional training and workplace learning
- Raising the competences of the teaching force
- Preparing the next generations for participation in our knowledge-intensive, culturally diverse, and multilingual societies.
Prof. dr. P.P.M. (Paul) Leseman
T + 31 30 253 4931
Prof. dr. M.H.A.M. (Marja) van den Heuvel-Panhuizen
T + 31 30 253 5648
Prof. dr. T.J.M. (Ted) Sanders
T + 31 30 253 6080