Cultures & Identities
Cultures & Identities represents one of Utrecht University's fifteen prioritised research areas. It provides a unique interdisciplinary platform bringing together expertise in the fields of media and the arts, religion, and organisations from the faculty of Humanities and the faculty of Law, Economics and Governance.
- provide an integrated account of the interplay between media, representations, actors and organisations in articulating common identities;
- illuminate contemporary discussions on culture and identity with historical insights into long-term cultural changes and shifting patterns of identification, and their impact on social interactions and inequalities;
- develop new ways of thinking about cultural diversity in contemporary Europe;
- provide a platform for new types of collaboration between academic researchers and social partners.
Four interdisciplinary research lines are being developed between 2008 and 2013:
Cultures & Identities is a collaboration between:
- Prof. Ann Rigney (Humanities)
- Prof. Paul Verweel (Law, Economics and Governance)