The University Library Utrecht has a fines system for overdue books. Our aim with this system is to achieve a greater availability of our books for everyone.
The fines system:
Day 1: no fine yet, renewal possible (first reminder)
Day 7: fine 1 Euro, renewal possible (second reminder)
Day 14: fine 3 Euro, renewal possible (third reminder)
Day 21: fine 15 Euro, renewal only via the lending desk (fourth reminder)
Day 36: You will be billed for replacement costs of the books (at least 50 Euros per book). These costs will be cancelled when you return the books. In case of non-payment, we will call in a debt-collecting agency.
As an extra service, we send reminders by e-mail, from the overdue date on day 1, day 7, day 14 and day 21.
- Students receive their reminders on their Solis-mailaddress. If you forward messages sent to this e-mail address to a Hotmail, Yahoo, MSN or @Live account, you may not receive the reminders due to technical problems.
- If you don't have an email address, you will receive the reminders by mail.
- No rights can be derived from not receiving reminders.
The following rules apply to all cases of the fines system:
- Fines do not expire when you renew or return your books
- Fines of 10 Euros or more must be paid in full before lending or renewals can take place
- Fines can be paid by pin or chip at the library service desk. In the University Library Uithof and the University Library City Centre you pay your fines by pin or chip using a payment machine.