You would like a library card
- Staff and students of Utrecht University, UMC Utrecht, and of other institutions affiliated with Dutch universities, students and staff of all other Dutch universities (students on presentation of their student card and proof of enrolment), the Hogeschool Utrecht (HU) and Utrecht School of the Arts (HKU), Humanistisch Vormingsonderwijs (HVO) (Humanistic Socio-Cultural Education) en Hoger Onderwijs voor Ouderen (HOVO) (Higher Education for Older People), staff of the Koninklijke Bibliotheek (National Library of the Netherlands), the Royal Dutch Academy of Science (KNAW) and the Netherlands Organisation for Scientific Research (NWO), secondary school pupils and students of ROC’s from the province of Utrecht, Utrecht University alumni in possession of an alumni card (including members of the alumni society UvNa) and persons possessing an U-pas can register free of charge at any Utrecht University library. When registering you must show proof of identity and address.
- All other library users have to pay an annual fee of €50. You may register at any location of Utrecht University Library. You must show proof of identity and address.
You just want to consult books
If you only want to consult material from the depositories and you do not have a library card, you can ask for a reading room card (free of charge). When applying for a card you must show proof of identity and address.
Borrowing and requesting material
- You may take material from the open shelves and check it out at the desk or use the self-service machine.
- Books and journals from the depositories or from other Utrecht University libraries which are for loan or already on loan to other borrowers can be requested through our catalogue.
- You will be notified by e-mail when the book is available for pick-up. The items will be kept ready for you for a maximum of seven days.
- You can also have material sent to your work address or home address by selecting Send by mail as your pick-up location. This service is not free of charge.
- You may borrow up to fifteen books at a time. In special cases you may be granted temporary permission to borrow more books. Please fill in the application form on our website.
Collect your requested books yourself
The University Library Uithof, the University Library City Centre and the Mathematics Library have self pick-up reservation shelves: you can collect requested items yourself.
An exception is made for the Testing Library materials. These items must still be collected at the desk.
The University Library Uithof, University Library City Centre and the Mathematics Library have launched a self-service system for checking out and returning books easily and quickly, even when the lending desk is closed.
Logging in to the catalogue
- Utrecht University students log in with their Solis ID and Solis password
- Utrecht University staff log in in with their SolisID and password. It is also possible to log in with your library card number and standard password (standard password consists of four digits: day and month of your birth date).
- All other visitors log in with their library card number and password: the standard password consists of the four digits of your birthdate (DDMM).
If you want to see a list of the books you borrowed or requested, or if you want to renew books, the easiest option is to go to Personal Library > Loans.
How long will it take?
The delivery times below are from Monday to Friday. During weekends and on public holidays there are no deliveries from the depositories and/or other library locations.
Material that has to be taken from one Utrecht University library to another will be available after one working day.
From UL Uithof Depot to one of the desks in the University Library Uithof takes less time. When you make a request, you select: Pickup location: UL Uithof. This means that you pick up your books from the open access reservation shelves on the first floor.
If you want to request materials published before 1901 from the UL Uithof Depot, you must select: Pickup location: UL Uithof Special Collections. The Special Collections desk is on the 6th floor.
- requested before 9 a.m.: available at 11 a.m.
- requested before 11 a.m.: available at 1 p.m.
- requested before 1 p.m.: available at 3 p.m.
- UL Uithof: requested before 3 p.m.: available at 5 p.m.
- UL Uithof Special Collections: requested before 3 p.m.: available at 4 p.m.
Borrowing free of charge from other libraries
- With your library card of the Utrecht University Library, you can request and borrow books from the library of the University for Humanistics, through the catalogue. You can pick up your books at a pickup location of your choice within the Utrecht University Library.
- Utrecht University staff and students can borrow books free of charge from: the Hogeschool Utrecht libraries and other Dutch university libraries if you collect the books yourselves at these libraries.
- Utrecht University staff and students can register as borrowers at a 50 per cent discount at the Koninklijke Bibliotheek.
Requesting material from libraries outside Utrecht University
In the Picarta database, you can request books and photocopies of journal articles from libraries outside Utrecht University. This service is not free of charge. You will need a so-called ILL-account for which application forms are available on the website.
Renewing your books
The loan period is 28 days. You will be fined for not renewing materials on time (see fines system) .Items which have not been requested by other borrowers can be renewed up to one year (each time for 28 days).
- Through your Personal Library > Loans (only for UU students and staff)
- Through our catalogue > Log in/Renew books > Loans
- by e-mail, phone or in writing
- at the desks of all locations of Utrecht University Library.
Returning your books
You can return your books at the desks of any Utrecht University library. Books may also be sent by post - if properly wrapped and stamped - to any Utrecht University library. As of January 2008 you will be fined for not returning materials on time. See fines system.
Change of address
- Utrecht University students can notify Student Services of their change of address. The change of address will be automatically processed in the University Library borrowers' register.
- Utrecht University staff and other visitors can notify desk staff of their change of address, or send it by e-mail or by post. you must show proof of identity and address.
Renewing your library card
- The validity of the registration of Utrecht University students is automatically taken care of each academic year.
- Utrecht University staff and other borrowers with a free library card can renew their cards at the desk of any Utrecht University library.
- Persons who have to pay an annual fee for their library card will receive a giro slip some time before their card expires, but can also choose to renew their cards at the desk. When renewing your card at the desk you must show proof of identiy and address.