- Are you interested in environmental issues?
- Do you want to work towards a sustainable future?
- Do you want to study in an excellent academic environment?
If so, the Master's programme Sustainable Development could be the perfect challenge for you. You’ll be exploring a sustainable world in this international research Master’s programme with students from all over the world.
Choose one of four tracks
The multidiciplinary approach of this Master's programme combines insights of both natural and social sciences. When you apply for the programme you need to choose one of four tracks:
Energy and Resources track
This track provides a challenging program to help you understand and develop the skills to contribute to the solution. This track is particularly interesting for science graduates who wish to develop and apply their scientific knowledge:
• With a strong focus on the future development of energy and materials systems
• With an emphasis on the contribution of the natural sciences to sustainable development
Global Change and Ecosystems track
This track is particularly interesting for science graduates interested in ecological matters:
- • Focus on the sustainable use of land and water;
- • Approach based in the natural sciences.
Environmental Governance track
This track is particularly interesting for social science graduates who would like to work on environmental policy issues:
- • Focus on steering the social changes required to achieve an environmentally accountable society;
• Approach based in the social sciences.
International Development track
This track is particularly interesting for social science, economics or planning studies graduates interested in sustainability issues related to developing countries:
• Focus on the living conditions and access to resources in the global south;
• Approach based in social sciences.
Towards an accountable society
The Master’s programme Sustainable Development focuses on the analysis of changes needed to achieve an environmentally and socially accountable society. You will learn how such changes can be analysed and managed, locally and globally, in both the short and the long term.
World's leading research groups
The Sustainable Development programme is developed by one of the world's leading research groups on sustainability issues: Utrecht University's Copernicus Institute of Sustainable Development.
Interested in this programme?
NVAO accredited programme
This Master’s programme has been accredited by the Accreditation Organisation of the Netherlands and Flanders (NVAO).
Find out more about the NVAO