On this website you can find the information you need when you do the Research Master's programme in Linguistics. If you are you planning on registering for this Research Master's programme, please follow the links below.
The MA Linguistics programme is a research oriented programme with a broad focus on language architecture (syntax, phonology, semantics), psycholinguistics (including language acquisition, language processing) and language use (discourse studies, bilingualism, phonetics). It is a two-year English-language programme (120 ECTS), open to students from all over the world. It has a very internationally oriented staff and student body, accepting approximately 20 new students each year. The programme features:
- 4 obligatory courses in the first semester preparing students for elective courses in the second semester and the second year;
- A wide array of advanced elective courses in different tracks;
- A thorough training in experimental lab work and corpus methodology;
- Ample scope for individual research: a 15 ECTS internship in the 2nd year and a 30 ECTS thesis. The internship may be taken at Utrecht, elsewhere in the country or elsewhere in the world;
- Highly qualified teachers actively involved in research;
- Excellent library, laboratory and hardware facilities;
- Individual tutoring.
Students are trained in systematically collecting empirical data, they learn to design, plan, and conduct offline and online experiments that test hypotheses in different theoretical frameworks. Part of the curriculum consists of an internship in a research project within the Utrecht institute of Linguistics (OTS) or another research institute in the Netherlands or abroad. Students complete their studies by writing a Master's thesis based on their research.
>> Read more