Supervision and Support
Progress of your PhD project is closely monitored by the PhD supervisor (promotor), the daily supervisor and the PhD coordinator.
UiL OTS's PhD coordinator is Dr Maaike Schoorlemmer
T. +31 (0)30 253 6183
You can contact the PhD coordinator:
- in case of any problem that is preventing you from carrying out your research properly,
- if you need help with the different roles your supervisor may have (he or she may be your boss, your teacher, your coach and your examiner all at once),
- if you are considering changing your contract size (full-time or 80%), please approach both your supervisor and the PhD coordinator.
For questions about employment-related benefits (commuting costs, bike purchase, holiday allowance), or practicalities surrounding pregnancy/parental leave, please contact the Faculty of Humanities' HR section.
UiL OTS offers office space, access to computer and library facilities, travelling funds for conference visits, and experimental facilities including eye-tracking and EEG/ERP, a baby lab and access to fMRI.
Please note that external PhD candidates (i.e. without a formal affiliation with UiL OTS; in Dutch: 'buitenpromovendi') do not benefit from any facilities otherwise available to UiL OTS PhD students.
- Monica Macaulay, Surviving Linguistics: A Guide for Graduate Students, Cascadilla press (2nd edition 2011)
- Jorge Cham, Piled Higher and Deeper, comics about PhD life, www.phdcomics.com