If your internship or study abroad period takes place within Europe, you may qualify for an Erasmus grant under the Lifelong Learning Programme
. The grant is a contribution to cover the extra travel and living expenses and a language course, if applicable. The amount of the award depends on the number of months you study abroad.
The budget is limited and applying for an Erasmus grant does not guarantee rewarding of the grant. Late applications have a smaller chance to be rewarded and will only be considered as long as the budget allows.
All 27 member states of the European Union
participate in Erasmus, as well as Croatia, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, Switzerland, Turkey, and the overseas territories of all these countries. However, eligibility of actual destinations depends on the agreements the university or your faculty has made with institutions and companies abroad. Conditions Restrictions Grant amount Application and deadlines Report requirements at the end of your Erasmus period Conditions
In order to qualify for a grant, you must:
- be registered in a study programme at the bachelor, masters or doctoraal level, or for a supplementary/post-doctoraal programme, which culminates with a diploma from a recognized institution of higher education (pre-master not applicable);
- have successfully completed a first year of higher education studies and started the second year;
- be following a full-time study, research or internship programme at the host institution/enterprise.
- your home and host institution need to hold an Erasmus University Charter (EUC). Utrecht University has been awarded an EUC, based on the university's EUC Policy Statement.
- the internship or courses taken at the host institution/enterprise must be integrated in and recognized in your study programme in Utrecht;
- the study programme must be at least three months long with a maximum of twelve months, within one academic year. The Erasmus academic year ends September 30 for study and October 31 for placements.
Under the Lifelong Learning Programme each student can apply for Erasmus a limited number of times:
1. once for STUDY*: courses or research at an Erasmus partner university;
2. once for a PLACEMENT*: placement or internship at a (non-academic) organisation or enterprise; or research at a university outside an Erasmus agreement;
*Socrates-Erasmus (study) and Leonardo da Vinci (placement) grants awarded before July 2007 are taken into account as well!
Utrecht University does not award Erasmus-placement grants to students who will receive a placement allowance of €250 or more per month from their host organisation. Placements at the European Union institutions, at Dutch embassies/consulates and embassies/consulates of your home country (if not Dutch) are not eligible for Erasmus grants.
The grant amount for 2012-2013 is determined at €220 per STUDY or PLACEMENT month abroad and will be disbursed in two terms. Prior to departure you will receive € 176 for each month abroad. The subsequent payment of €44 per month will be disbursed in September/October 2013, supposing all (report) criteria are met. If these are not met you must refund the entire grant.
Application and deadlines
Report requirements at the end of your Erasmus period
Disclaimer: The information above is provided by Utrecht University; the National Agency for Lifelong Learning and the European Commission take no responsibility for the contents.