Motivated, committed and expert staff are of crucial importance to the realisation of the ambitions of Utrecht University. The University, therefore, attaches great value to the continuous career development of all employees. This applies to scientific as well as to management and support staff. Staff members are encouraged to attend training and courses, and internal succession and secondment are stimulated, thus providing a taste of other positions and tasks. The University also offers specific career development programmes.
Career development of management and support staff
- (Prospective) managers are offered a management development programme.
- Talented management and support staff with potential leadership skills and the capacity to take up diverse management and policy positions, are offered a customised development track, the so-called ‘talented management and support staff network’ (netwerk OBP-talent).
Career development of scientific staff
- Lecturers are offered various development programmes, including the chance to obtain a Basic Teaching Qualification or a Senior Teaching Qualification.
- Scientists who have been awarded the Basic Teaching Qualification may participate in the development programmes of the Center of Excellence in University Teaching: Educational Leadership, a Master Class in University Teaching in English, and a Master Class in Quality Assurance.
- The Academic Leadership programme offers training to academic managers, professors, and prospective academic leaders.
Within Utrecht University, a range of networks exists comprising professionals and specific members of staff such as Research Directors, Programme Directors, HR officials, communication advisers, Heads of Learning, Teaching and Students Affairs, and secretaries. Other networks include the Women’s Network and the Network of Consultative Bodies.
These networks are predominantly self-directed and organise various training activities with and for each other.
For all aspects of career counselling, staff members are welcome to approach their HR adviser.